Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 08:08 PM

14,486 posts, read 12,114,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Every hardware store sells a selection of power cords for dryers as they often have to be changed.

Do not change the outlet, change the cord on the dryer. This is a standard thing. I have moved fairly often, and had to change the dryer cord almost every time.

If you don't know how to change a power cord by following the instructions, get someone who knows what they are doing. I expect that most applicance stores that deliver will install the correct cord for you at the time. I don't know whether Lowe's would do that.
This ^

They're very easy to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 08:58 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Every hardware store sells a selection of power cords for dryers as they often have to be changed.

Do not change the outlet, change the cord on the dryer. This is a standard thing. I have moved fairly often, and had to change the dryer cord almost every time.

If you don't know how to change a power cord by following the instructions, get someone who knows what they are doing. I expect that most applicance stores that deliver will install the correct cord for you at the time. I don't know whether Lowe's would do that.
That rule only applies when switching between NEMA 10-30 (3 prong) and NEMA 14-30 (4 prong). Apparently the OP's home has a NEMA 10-50 outlet (designed for electric ranges) installed on a 30A circuit. I would change the outlet to the correct NEMA 10-30, that way nobody can plug in anything that uses 50A.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:25 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Probably is 30A already. NEMA 10-50 plugs on 30A circuits aren't uncommon.
Are they? Didn't know that. I think arc welders use that same plug don't they? Doesn't seem like that would be allowed on a 30 amp circuit since a range could be plugged into it(actually requiring a 50 amp circuit). Maybe just a local code thing. As far as current carrying capability I'd imagine the 30 amp dryer plug is as heavy as the 50 amp range plug.

Sorry just noticed Pink Jazz just recommended that ...

Last edited by SATX56; 06-29-2017 at 10:37 PM..

Old 06-30-2017, 07:44 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
If one were to plug in something that draws 50A, to a designated 50A outlet that is connected to a 30A circuit, the circuit breaker would trip, no harm done.

There's very little information about exactly which outlet is installed in the OP's house.

The OP just wants to connect a dryer. I would not recommend changing the outlet.

It's also possible, though unlikely, that for some reason the circuit is a 50A circuit with a 50A designated outlet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House