Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 09:16 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,014,769 times

Advertisements

The new house were building offers this upgrade for $2k. I think the price is reasonable but what we can't figure out is if the hype is worth the change from a regular 50 gallon tank to a tankless. I've read several articles that leave me with more questions than answers and almost talk us out of getting one. The savings per year for one. Seems it would take several years to pay off a ticket item like that. We already know we won't be in this house forever and are thinking of an5 year plan. That said I know plans change. I'm coming to the conclusion that the hype on these that was in full swing 5-7 years ago is dying down greatly. What are opinions on this? Is it really a better way to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 10:01 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,561,569 times
My rental house has one and I don't really like or dislike it. My house is small (750sq ft) and it still takes forever for the water to heat up and get to the faucet. I don't see much a difference in energy costs either since it was installed. It does save space in smaller homes like the one we are in.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:14 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,726,673 times
I have both and if space permits I will go with natural gas tank type... basically zero maintenance with the water here... tanks I have put in are starting to approach 20 years...

I do put a pan under all new installs piped to daylight because the question is not if but when it will leak.

One of my friends has a spa tub and lots of kids... says endless hot water is a blessing and a curse... a curse because some will take 20 minute showers!

Old 07-05-2017, 10:17 AM

7,276 posts, read 5,295,333 times
When I converted my house to oil from electric a while ago, I went from a big tank to tankless. The tank had leaked once and was replaced before the switchover. I have never run out of hot water in the house so I like tankless. I have done no cost analysis. For me, living in my house long term, it's one less thing to worry about, a leaking tank.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:29 AM

34,111 posts, read 83,076,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
The new house were building offers this upgrade for $2k.
Is it really a better way to go?
With natural gas... and being new construction... and a lot of people... it's probably worth it.
For a remodel or if electric or few users.. I'd say an emphatic no.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:37 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,890,867 times
We have used them since about 2000. They are a luxury item. They idea you will eventually save enough on utility bills to pay for the difference is silly. The big advantage: Endless hot water. You never run out. You can take three hour showers if you need/want to. They also take up virtually no space, so if storage or other space is an issue, they can be a major improvement for you. Downside other than cost: Limited volume if you do not get enough capacity. Most people call volume "water pressure" It isn't, but if you do not have a big enough capacity tankless and you have two or three showers or other things drawing hot water at once, it can dwindle to a near trickle. Also, you will likely need to decales them every few years. You mix up a bucket of descaler, set up an electric pump to circulate the descaler, turn the water heater down (nut not off, descaler works better hot), and let it run overnight. IN the morning, you need to rinse the pipes clean and put everything away. Not a big deal, but it is a project. We have a lot of calcium in our water, so we ahve to descale once a year, sometimes twice. One other downside, people tend to take longer showers. That increases both cost and unavailability of showers.

We have a large family (7 people). In California we had a high output tankless (Takagi Mobius (3 - I think)) and never had any output issues. The water heater was mounted outside on the back of the house near other utilities, so it took up no space in the house at all. Being California, the amount of heat that needed to be added was far lower than colder places. In Michigan we have a Rennai. It is lower output and Michigan is colder, so we sometimes have output problems. (Also dislike Rennai because you have to hire their certified dealers to install and they stink. Better to DIY if you want it done right). Between the temperature difference and the lower output of the Rennai, we have to schedule uses. Two showers is OK, but if we add in a Washing machine, dishwasher or a third shower at the same time, there is a noticeable drop in volume. We use thermostaically controlled shower valves, so it does not get cold, but it does dwindle to a mere trickle at times. I wanted to put two of them in, our plumber talked me out of it. I should not have listened to him. However, now we are down to three permanent full time residents in our house it does fine most of the time.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:43 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,433,943 times
I grew up with a gas tankless (4 decades ago), and my folks currently have an electric tankless ~ these homes being in Wyoming and Montana. The old gas unit, yeah, you were waiting a minute or so for hot water... their current electric, well, lets say that I would not be surprised if I waited longer for hot water in my Georgia home with a traditional tank than their current tankless.

The main benefit to tankless is that you can have nearly endless hot water*

* for a given flow rate. That might be enough for a shower alone, a shower and sink for dishes but Probably not 2 showers. That all depends on the flow rate of the unit. 18 people doing nothing more than showering one after the other, tankless is impossible to beat.

Is it worth the cost? Only you can decide. Generally speaking, tankless are better suited for using a lot of hot water all in a short timeframe. Tank type are better suited for delivering a little hot water in short spurts.

The one Major benefit that the tank type have over tankless is in a natural disaster/emergency. You have 40 gallons of clean water with no other thought than to turn off the "main" supply valve (so it doesn't become contaminated). Not a very frequent need, but may be life or death if it ever comes down to that situation.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:22 AM

17,480 posts, read 66,143,421 times
New construction- no refitting/RE; I'd say do it.

As previously mentioned- endless hot water (for a given rate). Even if you don't reap the full benefit, it should definitely be a good selling point if and when you sell.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:35 AM

5,854 posts, read 5,294,463 times
We have one in our winter house in Puerto Rico. It made sense to put one there because we are only there for 2 months out of the year.

I don't know it if is just that particular unit but I ALWAYS have a hard time regulating the temp. There is always a delay in when I adjust the temp to when it actually gets to that temp. I would turn it on what I think would be warm but before I know it, it gets TOO hot so my instincts would turn it all the way to the cold because it always takes a while to cool down. Then after a few moments it would be TOO cold so I would turn it on hot again-only it would get TOO hot before long.

That would be my entire shower-hot/cold/hot/cold. I usually manage to find the RIGHT temp just as I am ready to get out.

Cat

Old 07-05-2017, 11:55 AM

4,570 posts, read 5,683,426 times
Post Resistive electric tankless is only good for point-of-use, not whole-house

My old place had just a 50 gallon tank, with more than 2 people living in the house it was easy to run out of hot water, you had to wait a few hours for the tank to heat back up. Annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
The new house were building offers this upgrade for $2k. I think the price is reasonable but what we can't figure out is if the hype is worth the change from a regular 50 gallon tank to a tankless.
Electric, or natural gas? Gas-fired tankless has a lot of advantages over a 50 gallon tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House