Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 09:24 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Obviously, there are people who do think that turning a switch on or off
with an app or your voice IS worth it, or this entire industry would have fizzled-out a few years ago.
It's more like a lot of people are invested in the technology (emotionally, financially, etc)...
and needing for it to eventually being worth it down at the residential consumer level.

There was a time that a similar argument was over BetaMax or VHS.
Which one of those won?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 10:07 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Thumbs up Not every light needs to be automated, but as it gets cheaper, they can be

Unless you really cheap out, your "smart" light switches will work just fine as a normal light switch, you can walk over and turn it on manually if you're feeling like a Luddite. Or you can tie it into occupancy sensors, alarm systems, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It's more like a lot of people are invested in the technology (emotionally, financially, etc)... and needing for it to eventually being worth it down at the residential consumer level.
There are legitimate applications for "home automation" (which covers a lot more ground than just having app/voice control over a couple of light bulbs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
What do you want to do with these supercalifragilistic-expialidocious computerized-smartphone-linked-WiFi light switches that you can't do by simply walking over to the light switch and turning it on or off?
Sure, when you're building a new house, you can design in multi-way switches so the control for lights is where it needs to be, but it's not so easy in an existing house. Old houses often have sub-optimal switch placement, sometimes even dangerously so -- at my old place, the only switch for the lights on the basement stairs was located at the bottom. Not great when going down with a big laundry basket.

I have exterior lighting all around the house, but the switches are in weird spots. By replacing these with "smart" switches, I can hit one button and instantly switch from "elegant accent lighting" to "full prison yard". I can have this happen automatically, for example when a vehicle is detected on the driveway after sunset, or anytime the fire/alarm is triggered.

While the cheapest solutions are "cloud tethered" and only work via the Internet, there are approaches which avoid this and don't share your information with Amazon & Google.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 07-17-2017 at 10:19 AM..

Old 07-17-2017, 11:57 AM

294 posts, read 544,539 times
Ben there, done that. Now I make my houses as stupid as possible. All the time I used to spend setting up, trouble shooting and repairing, I now spend by sipping a cool beverage on my porch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House