Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 10:23 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times

Advertisements

Can lights in the kitchen are ok. The problem is they are behind you as you're cooking or facing the counters prepping food. So you're blocking what is already not great lighting.
You need undercounted lights

Double duplex at the kitchen backsplash area. You can never have enough outlets. Have your electrician wire them on two seoarate circuits and alternate the outlets. This way if something pops you can plug in to the outlet in the next box.

Have all your kitchen appliances kitchen on their own circuits.

I wouldn't shrink the pantry. If anything make the bedroom bigger by pushing the exterior wall out. It's easier to do a wall now than try to build it later.

Master bed. Make outlets that are above your nightstand top. Trying to move crap to plug something behind the bed headboard or behind the nightstand is a pita.

Wire up every room for switched fan and light combo.

Garage. Wire up a 90 amp subpanel.

Have him wire up a attic receptacle. If you're ever working up there and you need to plug something in you'll thank me.

For a low voltage aspect.
Run two cat 6 two coax to each room. One set high one set low. The high set gets a receptacle and backing for tv. The other can go at the desk location.
Do this in every room. Run them all to the main head in.
Run two cat 6 two coax from the MPOE
RUN 7 coax from a satellite location to main head in
Run a coax to the front door doorbell area. Run a coax to every location where you may want a CCTV camera.
Run a coax to every location where you want a security keypad.
If you have the money prewire for alarm every door and window. 22/2
Prewire for motion detectors 22/4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 03:57 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
It appears to meet code, but yes, that's a lot of can lights. Probably not too efficient. I would change the bathroom switches to occupancy sensing type.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:41 AM

If you have ANY plan for a workshop, powered entry gates, yard lights, or any electrical in the yard run the underground now.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:50 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
4000K is too hot
?
4000K is firmly on the cool side of the spectrum.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:57 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Thumbs up Subpanels are great

If you might ever want to have an automatic standby generator, now is the time to plan for it. Consider a conduit from the breaker panel to the appropriate outside wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Double duplex at the kitchen backsplash area. You can never have enough outlets. Have your electrician wire them on two seoarate circuits and alternate the outlets. This way if something pops you can plug in to the outlet in the next box.

Have all your kitchen appliances kitchen on their own circuits.
Speaking of separate circuits, make sure that overhead lighting is not on the same circuit as the outlets. It's fine for overhead lights in multiple rooms to be on the same breaker, especially with all LED lighting.

If you have a generator subpanel, remember to include overhead lighting (including bathroom lights), as well as one kitchen circuit, bedroom outlets, garage doors, and exterior security floods. Or just go whole house instead of selective.

Quote:
Run two cat 6 two coax from the MPOE
RUN 7 coax from a satellite location to main head in
I'd do each with 2" PVC conduit instead. terminate in a double-gang low-voltage box at each end. Pull coax or Cat6 as you need it.

Quote:
Run a coax to the front door doorbell area. Run a coax to every location where you may want a CCTV camera.
Run a coax to every location where you want a security keypad.
If you have the money prewire for alarm every door and window. 22/2
Prewire for motion detectors 22/4
I would prewire to places where you might want motion with Cat6, that way you could choose to put in PoE cameras, etc at those locations.

Does anybody still do CCTV with coax? Better to run Cat6 everywhere.
security keypads with coax??

Old 07-22-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
If you might ever want to have an automatic standby generator, now is the time to plan for it. Consider a conduit from the breaker panel to the appropriate outside wall.

Speaking of separate circuits, make sure that overhead lighting is not on the same circuit as the outlets. It's fine for overhead lights in multiple rooms to be on the same breaker, especially with all LED lighting.

If you have a generator subpanel, remember to include overhead lighting (including bathroom lights), as well as one kitchen circuit, bedroom outlets, garage doors, and exterior security floods. Or just go whole house instead of selective.

I'd do each with 2" PVC conduit instead. terminate in a double-gang low-voltage box at each end. Pull coax or Cat6 as you need it.

I would prewire to places where you might want motion with Cat6, that way you could choose to put in PoE cameras, etc at those locations.

Does anybody still do CCTV with coax? Better to run Cat6 everywhere.
security keypads with coax??
**** sorry I meant cat5 for camera and keypad. Ran low on brain fluid

Some cameras (commercial) use Siamese coax and 2/6 conductor if you're doing PTZ cameras. So yeah it's still used considering most cameras still use BNC connectors.
I either free air and use hanging J hooks in the attic to keep the wire up so it doesn't get snagged or stepped on in the future or use 1 inch smurf tubing at each location with a 2 inch going into the attic for future.

I do agree about the generator. I just did my house to accept a generator hook up in case of power outage

Old 07-22-2017, 12:02 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
In the garage, the worklight fixtures directly over the cars will illuminate the roof of the cars nicely but to no good effect when working in there. Use three fixtures with the center one out of the way of the door operator.
Where switched outlets are wanted, install a double box, not a split function duplex. Mount the switched duplex upside down so you know which is which.
Install a circulation feature for hot water. This uses a small pump on a timer to move hot water to the sink furthest from the water heater so you have hot water in the morning, essential for a modern house. No extra pipes required.
Put a carefully design pan under your water heater. These units are DESIGNED to fail in 10-15 years and failure = leakage. Be sure you have good access to change it out.
Washing machines will fail or malfunction, so you need a pan there, too.
"I'd love to be building new too"

Old 07-22-2017, 01:28 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
We like outside landscaping lighting for showing the house off as well as for security. Our transformer/timer is in the crawl space but getting the low voltage wires through the foundation is a challenge. Maybe a dedicated PVC conduit with access inside & out? Some power units need to see sunlight to provide dusk to dawn lighting.
Outside lights at the corner of the roof are a pita to change the bulbs. These should be LEDs or somehow located at regular ladder height. Be sure you have enough outlets for seasonal lighting. a dedicated circuit on a timer would be my choice unless you go with computer controlled.
My box of 100W equivalent LEDs says not suitable for recessed fixtures. YMMV.
Where does your garbage and recycling go? In the garage is a bad choice, I mean why give trash the same storage space as your cars? I have a shed with a porch to keep mine out of the weather.
Glad to see you eliminated the tub. If you want a hot tub, install one outside. Showers are much more fun. A tub in one of the other baths can be available for soaking.
Love the idea of a dog wash station. We use a local dog wash which has wonderful walk up stainless stations which are probably available for purchase.
If code permits, have the AC condensate routed to your internal drain instead of dumping outside. While freezing is probably not a problem in your area, it can still be messy.
Keep us posted.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:10 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
I was going to suggest pre wire for low voltage lights. I see I'm not alone in the use of them. We've always offered them and a few will want them but after they have them, they won't do without them. It does add to the ambience of the house at night but the biggest plus is security. Most perps aren't going to want to be seen. The low light feature makes it impossible and it's all but impossible to hide with them on. When you factor in the low cost to use, it's the best bargain you'll ever do for security, the great looks it brings to the home at night is just an added plus.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:25 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
It appears to meet code, but yes, that's a lot of can lights. Probably not too efficient. I would change the bathroom switches to occupancy sensing type.
So you can be blinded when you make your 3 am pee run? I would pass on sensor type switches for the bathroom. Your spouse and your guests will thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House