Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 03:38 PM

22,482 posts, read 12,018,893 times

Advertisements

We are fast approaching the time where it will be necessary for us to hire painters to paint the interior of our home.

In the past, we lived in a small townhouse (2 levels, no basement, 3 br. 1 1/2 ba.). Before the first time we put it on the market, we did the painting ourselves while we lived there. It wasn't easy but we managed as we didn't have too much furniture. The house didn't sell and we had to rent it out. When the market improved, the tenant moved out and we did it while the house was vacant and we were planning to replace the carpet. So no worries about moving furniture and no worries about getting paint on the carpet. We also didn't have to worry about painting the area where the washer and dryer were as it was just a basically unfinished large closet.

Now, we are in a bigger home. Some years back, we painted the finished basement ourselves which turned out to be a real hassle.

We simply can't do the 2 upper levels ourselves as the entryway is open to the second floor---yikes!

So...what's it like to have the painters come into your home? Do you have to move heavy furniture that is near the walls by yourself? Same question for the washer and dryer. Or do the painters do that? I know, of course, we will have to empty out the closets. Are you able to stay in the home when the painting is getting done or are you expected to go to a hotel for a couple of days?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions as this will be our first time experiencing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 04:29 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,062,833 times
I had my interior painted ten years ago, going to get same painters to do it again soon, probably next year. I have the same problem due to vaulted ceilings, etc.--would never buy vaulted again if I ever moved. I got a recommendation for the painters from a coworker who had had them paint--I saw his house and they did a terrific job.

They moved all the furniture and appliances for me and did some minor patching of cracks. I moved all the other stuff out of each room and closet. Very neat and no paint on my new carpet. Semi-nerve-racking for me as I don't really like people coming into my house. More sociable people probably don't mind so much. They painted while I was at work. I stayed at my house at night with windows open to rid it of fumes. (I was home only one day while they were there and just stayed in a room they had done already and out of the way.) YMMV depending on weather. I boarded my dogs at the vet for the duration. Be sure to dust all baseboards and trim etc. as they won't do that, although they did change a couple light bulbs for me that were high up.

My painters started with bedrooms, then baths, then great room and then kitchen. They sort of backed their way out of the house. They painted the garage last.

Overall it was not bad.

Last edited by Gusano; 07-27-2017 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: Darn typos

Old 07-27-2017, 05:28 PM

Thank you for answering all my questions---I appreciate it!

I agree re: vaulted ceilings. This house as a new build when we bought it. All but one of the models available had vaulted ceilings. I wanted the one model that didn't have them, which also happened to be the cheapest home. However, I was out voted by my husband and daughter. Even back then, I couldn't help but think about what it would be like when it was time to paint So...we, too, would never again buy a place with such ceilings.

ETA: I'm like you---I really don't like having strangers in the house but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do. We always make sure to hire people who are licensed and insured.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Thank you for answering all my questions---I appreciate it!

I agree re: vaulted ceilings. This house as a new build when we bought it. All but one of the models available had vaulted ceilings. I wanted the one model that didn't have them, which also happened to be the cheapest home. However, I was out voted by my husband and daughter. Even back then, I couldn't help but think about what it would be like when it was time to paint So...we, too, would never again buy a place with such ceilings.

ETA: I'm like you---I really don't like having strangers in the house but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do. We always make sure to hire people who are licensed and insured.

You're welcome. Just keep telling yourself it will be worth it, it will be worth it...

Old 07-31-2017, 02:57 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,914,455 times
I always try to do every repair that I can do myself to save money. With vaulted ceilings in the house I just bought, I can't paint the main living area and one of the bedrooms. It is kind of a relief to know I won't feel like I have to do it all myself.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:12 AM

165 posts, read 145,833 times
We just recently had some interior painting done. In the past we did it ourselves, but this house has some very high ceilings.
Our painters were here for two days. My husband and I were both home during that time, and we boarded the dog.
We chose a low VOC paint to minimize the smell. But if you are sensitive to smell, get a hotel room for a couple of nights.
The painters moved our furniture for us.

I HATED having people in my home for two days, but at least they were nice, and I'm so happy it's done.
But I'll do the remaining rooms myself.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:16 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,089,197 times
Professional painters are a pleasure to watch.

We all have done it ourselves, and think, how difficult can it be?

We end up with slop on everything, paint droplets, splots, missed places, and cut ins that look like a drunk did them.

Pro painters take care of everything: Taking down curtain rods, removing door hardware as needed, covering furniture, moving what needs to be moved, putting down drop clothes and cleaning up everything so it is spotless when they leave.

The know how to paint, they know what works, they get to the high places and stoop to cut in baseboards and not slop on the floor. They are simply professionals at what they do and worth every penny that you pay them to do the job.

Hire good painters that come well recommended....from friends, neighbors and the local paint store. Not Lowes or Home Depot but the local Sherwin Williams store where pro's buy their stuff. The can tell you quickly who has a good rep (and pays their bills because they have a lot of work) and who they would stay away from.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:16 PM

Thanks to all who answered my questions. Tomorrow we're having someone come in to look at the place and give us an estimate as to what it would cost to get the painting done. We've already prepared ourselves to expect the cost to be huge...but it has to get done...

Old 08-01-2017, 03:26 PM

Let us know how it turns out! I'm excited for you and can't wait til next spring when mine will be getting painted. What color(s) are you using--I'm going with Sherwin Williams basket beige/softer tan/white trim; keeping background neutral. I haven't got a firm quote for mine yet but I am anticipating about $7,000.

Last edited by Gusano; 08-01-2017 at 03:36 PM..

Old 08-01-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
Let us know how it turns out! I'm excited for you and can't wait til next spring when mine will be getting painted. What color(s) are you using--I'm going with Sherwin Williams basket beige/softer tan/white trim; keeping background neutral. I haven't got a firm quote for mine yet but I am anticipating about $7,000.
We're thinking a shade of beige since the carpeting is a light to medium brown shade. We're going to have the baseboards, trim and closet and bedroom/bathroom doors painted white. We'll ask the contractor about paint brands. When we painted our finished basement ourselves, we used Sherwin-Williams.

I will update my post as things progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House