Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2017, 09:14 AM

548 posts, read 1,217,152 times

Advertisements

I am buying a house that has a central vacuum in it. I have never had one before, and never used one before. I don't know the details of this system, but it is one with a hose. I honestly don't anticipate ever using it, primarily because I have a cleaning service. And if I need to spot vacuum during cleanings, it just seems easier to me to pull out my regular vacuum anyway. My question is if I don't use it is there anything wrong with just leaving it? Is there any downside to having a central vacuum system just sitting there? Do I have to cap off the exit point to avoid any problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 09:23 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,522,688 times
Having lived in two homes with central vacs I do not understand why you would not use it. It is effective, quiet, and does not leave that nasty vacuumed smell in the room. Let your cleaning service use it.
There is a big can somewhere (garage, usually, maybe?) with a motor and a receptacle below it. The exhaust usually goes outside with a vent like a dryer. Occasionally someone will need to empty the canister/collector bin. Usually there is not a filter.
It is much healthier that a portable vacuum because the fine, irritating particles are all sucked out of the house.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:40 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
I agree that central vac can be a nice feature. The OP really should have their cleaning service try out the unit to see whether it is better than whatever portable vacs would otherwise be used, some are not particularly useful.

As to "what happens if you don't use it" the short answer is "not much". The various seals and such will dry out at about the same rate used or unused. It is not like a unused plumbing fixture that benefits from use or winterization...

Old 08-24-2017, 10:11 AM

548 posts, read 1,217,152 times
Thank you both (and sorry Chet for not repping you -- it won't let me!)

Old 08-24-2017, 12:51 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,908,827 times
I just bought a house with a central vac. It is the first one I have ever had. The sellers were a couple where the husband loved it and the wife rarely used it, preferring to use a traditional vac. I think I will like it.

My canister is in the garage and you can hook the hose right there to vacuum out your car....very handy. You might find more reasons to use it than you think.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:46 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,669,274 times
Default If it exhausts outside, check that there's a good screen on the output or you'll get critters living in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque101 View Post
I am buying a house that has a central vacuum in it. I have never had one before, and never used one before. I don't know the details of this system, but it is one with a hose. I honestly don't anticipate ever using it, primarily because I have a cleaning service
Sure your cleaning service doesn't want to use it?

If I had one, I would definitely use the heck out of a central vac.

Quote:
My question is if I don't use it is there anything wrong with just leaving it? Is there any downside to having a central vacuum system just sitting there? Do I have to cap off the exit point to avoid any problems?
If you don't intend to use the system, identify where the canister is, and check if there is an exhaust outside the house. You might want to clean out the canister, replace the filter. If it exhausts outside, check that there's a good screen on the output or you'll get critters living in there.

Old 08-25-2017, 11:32 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,257 times
My sister has one and loves it. Her husband has multiple allergies and she thinks that it help him because it vents outside so dust and everything goes outside. The only thing she hates is lugging around and storing the hose. Some now had self storing hoses. She has one small area that hose is too short for so when doing a quick clean with her regular upright she gets that 4' spot. She also has a a dust pan feature in kitchen area she likes.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:05 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,428,922 times
Quote:
I am buying a house that has a central vacuum in it. I have never had one before, and never used one before. I don't know the details of this system, but it is one with a hose. I honestly don't anticipate ever using it, primarily because I have a cleaning service. And if I need to spot vacuum during cleanings, it just seems easier to me to pull out my regular vacuum anyway. My question is if I don't use it is there anything wrong with just leaving it? Is there any downside to having a central vacuum system just sitting there? Do I have to cap off the exit point to avoid any problems?
I have a central vac in the house I bought. I rarely use it as yes it is easier to get out the regular vacuum cleaner (and no there is no vacuum smell when I use it but it is noisy). The problem with the central vacuum is the hoses dragging them around, however it is quiet in the house (noisy as hell in the garage) and if my husband is in the living room when I want to vacuum I will use it for that reason. Not sure it does as good a job as the regular vacuum but it gets under the beds and furniture much easier and gentler. No there is no issue with not using it. Nothing to cap off, the exit point is a canister most likely in the garage and the entry points for the hose have flap covers.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:08 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,064,388 times
I bought my current house in May 2012 and knew there was a central vac with the "main" unit (or whatever it's called) in the basement. However, the previous owners also acknowledged that it was broken. I figured I would probably get it fixed or get a new "main unit" since the house was set up for it.

As it turns out, I've never used it. I realized after moving in that the central vac hook-ups in many of the rooms were NOT in convenient places -- i.e., they were right where I needed to put furniture. In addition, I already had 2 high-quality vacuums, so I figured I would put one on each floor (it's a 2-story house, plus basement). That's what I did and it has worked fine.

So five and a half years later, I've never used the central vac. I know people who love them, but so far I haven't needed the one I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House