Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 01:27 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times

Advertisements

Since they aren't on your land there's nothing you can do. And they look healthy so there's no reason to suppose they could be declared a hazard. If one does fall, it could fall in three other directions so the odds are in your favor. If you don't own the house yet I'd pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 01:33 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
When I bought my second house one of the first things I did was cut down all the trees near the house. We get some pretty strong winds in the winter and I didn't want them falling over and hitting the house. I did lose some trees to wind, but they were far enough away to where they didn't hit the house.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:16 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,780,627 times
What about erosion above the walls? I see a lot of bare dirt up there. Could the roots have been exposed and weakened when all the grading was being done? I hope the grading was done with the city or county's approval. I'd be leery of potential drainage problems aside from erosion. I'd like to think that the runoff is being managed by a French drain or equivalent.

As far as the trees falling is concerned, I wouldn't personally buy the house due to their position. I've lived in heavy groves of trees and the ones higher up are always more vulnerable. Frankly, I wouldn't sleep well in heavy wind and rain in that house.

Is there the equivalent house in a different part of the subdivision that doesn't have built-in hazards? Maybe that's an option if you're in love with that particular model.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:12 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,693,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattler123 View Post
Hi,

Are the trees in the pic too close to the house?

I am worried about trees falling on the house during a storm. Is there any risk about that?

Attachment 190305

You didn't say where you live. . . . But I'd be more worried about water runoff and drainage into your yard. It doesn't take much to get your yard to flood. I hope your yard is sloped enough so it isn't a problem.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:18 PM

56 posts, read 117,545 times
Thanks everyone for the replies!

I ended up not buying it. Just got notification that it is now pending. It was released on Saturday and gone by Monday morning - Seattle area

Old 09-18-2017, 07:09 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattler123 View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies!

I ended up not buying it. Just got notification that it is now pending. It was released on Saturday and gone by Monday morning - Seattle area
Even though you did not buy it, when it comes to trees and falling; the prevailing wind direction can play a big roll. Many times you will see large pines that all got blown over in the same direction. Of course it is not guaranteed; sometimes winds shift.

Sometimes home owners can tip the odds in their favor to keep their homes safe from falling trees without removing them. Of course it depends on the tree. But if you have large trees that have large branches in the direction of your house; you could possibly get the branches removed so the weight of the tree would pull it down away from your home. I had that done last summer to one large oak and now the weight is shifted away and we can sleep better. Sometimes you can also get tree trimmers to cable limbs that might fall in the direction of your house. Of course these are not always easy solutions and sometimes the trees simply have to come down.

If homeowners were smart; we would only plant trees that would never grow tall enough to threaten our houses. But we all make mistakes or overlook the problems as they grow. It is far cheaper to cut down saplings than it is to have large trees removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House