Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 01:45 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,272,408 times

Advertisements

[quote=anifani821;3189745]
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Littledog View Post

Nope. They continue to collect and are not interested in disbursing, LOL. Unless you have seen it (and it appears you have seen a very similar situation) it would be hard for people to grasp it.

The things my mother is willing to "give up" are this type of thing. The last time she visted, she showed up w/ a box of half burned candles and a box of Reader's Digest Condensed Novels, wh/ just added to the stack of stuff here at my house (we make regular Goodwill runs, LOL).

We are talking about people who are still hanging on to my sister and my baby clothes. And we are in our 50s. Magazines that go back to the 60s. Expensive antiques mixed w/ worn out furniture anyone else would have thrown out but they are "saving" in the garage. They have 2 homes; and they are both filled to the gills. And nobody's letting go of a thing.
Well the only thing you can do is toss the stuff they do give you, and when it's time to clean out their 'treasures' worry about it then....you know that 90% of it will get dumped, sad to say. My mother in law was something else. When we had to put her in assisted living due to alzheimers, and were cleaning her house to rent it, oh my god. She had at least 1,000 mayo jars, tons of butter tubs, you know those foil trays for tv dinners, tons of those, christmas cards in drawers back to the 40's...and this woman got at least 100 cards a year. civil defense rations, the house was stuck in the 60's. wallpaper, furniture, carpet, drapes...yes drapes...old fashioned drapes. it took almost a year for hubby and myself to clear it out, of course the brother and sister were out of town...but everyone wanted a piece of the action when the house was sold. Oh and dh had to have all new electrical boxes and pipes in to rent it. For someone who 'treasured' her things, what a bunch of crap. And I felt bad, here was this woman in assisted living and had no idea she had a home, much less what was happening with her stuff. This was in 2001, she has since passed and the house sold 4 years ago, but it's still clear as day finding those civil defense rations... me oh my!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 02:04 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times
[quote=dogmom;3190014]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Well the only thing you can do is toss the stuff they do give you, and when it's time to clean out their 'treasures' worry about it then....you know that 90% of it will get dumped, sad to say. My mother in law was something else. When we had to put her in assisted living due to alzheimers, and were cleaning her house to rent it, oh my god. She had at least 1,000 mayo jars, tons of butter tubs, you know those foil trays for tv dinners, tons of those, christmas cards in drawers back to the 40's...and this woman got at least 100 cards a year. civil defense rations, the house was stuck in the 60's. wallpaper, furniture, carpet, drapes...yes drapes...old fashioned drapes. it took almost a year for hubby and myself to clear it out, of course the brother and sister were out of town...but everyone wanted a piece of the action when the house was sold. Oh and dh had to have all new electrical boxes and pipes in to rent it. For someone who 'treasured' her things, what a bunch of crap. And I felt bad, here was this woman in assisted living and had no idea she had a home, much less what was happening with her stuff. This was in 2001, she has since passed and the house sold 4 years ago, but it's still clear as day finding those civil defense rations... me oh my!
Someone told me about 20 years ago . . . that if you are holding on to "stuff" - figure out how much your house is worth per square foot. Then consider how much space (in attic, garage, closets, rooms) that "stuff" is taking up - and come up w/ a figure of how much that stuff is costing you. So if you have 500 sq. ft. of "stuff" in your 2000 sq. ft home . . . and your 2000 sq. ft home is worth $400,000 . . . that stuff is "costing" you $100,000 in wasted space. When you look at it that way, it helps w/ making the decision to get rid of "stuff."

Unfortunately, some people are not logical about the things they have collected . . . plus there are sentiments attached . . .

Old 03-19-2008, 03:38 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,431,714 times
That is an interesting way to look at it but it costs me nothing to store things in my garage, to store things in my attic.

If I leave the space empty, how do I gain money that way. Thats what the space is there for.

I must add that I can also USE my garage for storing my car as well. I do agree that things have gotten well out of hand if you can't even put your car in the garage.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
That is an interesting way to look at it but it costs me nothing to store things in my garage, to store things in my attic.

If I leave the space empty, how do I gain money that way. Thats what the space is there for.

I must add that I can also USE my garage for storing my car as well. I do agree that things have gotten well out of hand if you can't even put your car in the garage.
Well, Lindsey, you are not the definition of a pack rat if you have things neatly in the attic and garage, LOL. I am a big collector, too . . . and manage to keep my stuff stored neatly (and also use my stuff - as it appears you do, too). I don't think the "cost" factor approach will have much meaning unless people literally have every area crammed full - including stuff stacked in rooms around the walls.

I have a friend who can no longer accommodate guests b/c both bedrooms are stacked full of "stuff." Not all messy - but boxes stacked neatly, LOL. Now for her - that line of thought about how much that space is costing her might have some meaning.

You definitely do not sound like a pack rat - just a savvy collector.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:53 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,899,648 times
Quote:
That sounds like a good idea but I don't think its necessary to use an airtight container although something that can't be dented in is always a good idea. I also wrap things in bubble wrap.

I have one large china cabinet and two smaller ones. I admit I am kind of obsessed by dishes. I could serve an army with the number of dishes I have.
Well I confess that my underbed space is already fairly well packed with china, glassware, cutlery and other household items for when we entertain.
My Grandmother has a huge collection. She truly loved fine china and it was her one vice.

I love china but I know that I don't really have the space to be collecting it so I tend to just enjoy looking around antique shops and enjoying it there. Of course I'm thrilled to have been willed the items that I have and will always treasure them, I just suspect if I started collecting myself I'd never stop!

Old 03-19-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Well, Lindsey, you are not the definition of a pack rat if you have things neatly in the attic and garage, LOL. I am a big collector, too . . . and manage to keep my stuff stored neatly (and also use my stuff - as it appears you do, too). I don't think the "cost" factor approach will have much meaning unless people literally have every area crammed full - including stuff stacked in rooms around the walls.

I have a friend who can no longer accommodate guests b/c both bedrooms are stacked full of "stuff." Not all messy - but boxes stacked neatly, LOL. Now for her - that line of thought about how much that space is costing her might have some meaning.

You definitely do not sound like a pack rat - just a savvy collector.
Yea, that is a little far when you give up serviceable living space to stacka room with boxes. I do admit however that the guest bedroom closet has my sewing stuff stored in it.

I have always found it crazy how people stack up their garage so they can't park their car in there. Their car is the second most valuable asset you have next to your house yet some people leave their garage stacked up with mess because they can't deal with it.

I recently had a garage sale and got rid of a bunch of stuff, I have also been taking things to goodwill that didn't sell. I have more to take as well.

My Mother is a pack rat, she buys all this stuff and then sends it or gives it to her children. I take it but then the stuff I don't care about, I get rid of.

I feel almost liberated when I throw something away that I don't need. I also take some of the clothes I get rid of to a second hand store as well.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:54 PM

369 posts, read 1,638,968 times
[quote=dogmom;3190014]
Quote:

I dread the day my 86 year old mother in law kicks the bucket. She's got 4,300 sqft of living space and 5,000 under roof. That house is jammed with stuff. She's been collecting antiques for the better half of her life and every dresser, sideboard, armoire, and bureau is filled to the brim with random items and other "old person house" things.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Yea, that is a little far when you give up serviceable living space to stacka room with boxes. I do admit however that the guest bedroom closet has my sewing stuff stored in it.

I have always found it crazy how people stack up their garage so they can't park their car in there. Their car is the second most valuable asset you have next to your house yet some people leave their garage stacked up with mess because they can't deal with it.

I recently had a garage sale and got rid of a bunch of stuff, I have also been taking things to goodwill that didn't sell. I have more to take as well.

My Mother is a pack rat, she buys all this stuff and then sends it or gives it to her children. I take it but then the stuff I don't care about, I get rid of.

I feel almost liberated when I throw something away that I don't need. I also take some of the clothes I get rid of to a second hand store as well.
That feeling of liberation - I know it well! (And you get a pass for storing your sewing supplies in the guest closet - I have mine there, too!!!)

I heard someone on one of these "clean house" type TV shows say he was in the "export business" - exporting collected stuff outta his house!!!! So now that is how I think of it - and yes . . . it is very liberating!

Old 03-19-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Well I confess that my underbed space is already fairly well packed with china, glassware, cutlery and other household items for when we entertain.
My Grandmother has a huge collection. She truly loved fine china and it was her one vice.

I love china but I know that I don't really have the space to be collecting it so I tend to just enjoy looking around antique shops and enjoying it there. Of course I'm thrilled to have been willed the items that I have and will always treasure them, I just suspect if I started collecting myself I'd never stop!
I am the same way. I have friend in Texas who deals in Antiques, he has enabled my addiction for many years now. He says I am Josiah Spode reincarnated. I absolutely LOVE dishes. When I went to the UK, I went to the Spode factory and bought plates very cheaply

Quote:
That feeling of liberation - I know it well! (And you get a pass for storing your sewing supplies in the guest closet - I have mine there, too!!!)

I heard someone on one of these "clean house" type TV shows say he was in the "export business" - exporting collected stuff outta his house!!!! So now that is how I think of it - and yes . . . it is very liberating!
Sometimes I feel that some things drag you down. My Mother for instance didn't get rid of her Mothers clothes for the longest time. For me personally, sometimes it gets to the point of being a burden. This from a person who still has a Taxidermied deers head because its been in the family for 60 years...

Old 03-19-2008, 07:49 PM

Lindsey - just had to comment - I, also, collect Spode! It is addictive!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House