Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2017, 12:04 PM

162 posts, read 117,242 times

Advertisements

I believe it was built around 5 years ago. My townhouse is a side-by-side one. Occasionally, I think if a neighbor is running up or down their stairs, I'll hear it, along with maybe some other loud thumps, but other than that, I don't hear a peep. No toilet flushing or anything. I will only hear yelling if my window is open (and their windows are probably open, too). My neighbors were having a party outside the other day, and the noise was surprisingly not that intense. When I went into the bathroom I could not hear a peep.

Asking because I'm wondering if my neighbors could hear me singing in the shower I know people within my house can hear it, but I'm just wondering about neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 02:39 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Every complex is different. The only way you will know is to ask.

I asked my neighbor because we sometimes play loud movies. They said they don't hear us. The only thing I hear from them is they have something upstairs that makes a thump, and I think it's a drawer. But that's it.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:19 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times
How i your building constructed?
We live in a side-by-side duplex and can only hear our neighbors when they pound a nail into the wall to hang a picture.
Ours is built with an area separation wall with two 1-inch shaft liners.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:46 PM

61,721 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Well, the bathroom might be different, because noise could travel through the bathroom exhaust fan vent.
Are you singing, or screaming, OP?? Your neighbors might enjoy the free entertainment...

Old 11-06-2017, 07:59 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,900 times
I say sing to your heart's content. It's your home, do what you want.
They may be out when you shower - Or in another part of the house, doing laundry or running the vacuum.

I would be more upset over cooking smells that sink into a place than noise.
If you're super worried, play a radio as background and you can always blame the songs on it if they ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House