Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2017, 05:15 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times

Advertisements

This forum seemed to be the best fit for this topic.

The gang mailboxes in my HOA and adjacent neighborhoods are being broken into at a disturbing rate. First time for mine was 5 weeks ago, it look a little over a week to get them fixed and often takes longer, meanwhile everyone had to drive to the post office to pick up their mail. Last Sunday it happened again. It occurred to me that this tip might be useful to others who have this problem or just have a mailbox located some distance from their house.

It is a real drag to have to go down to the post office or a remote mailbox to pick up your mail and find that there is nothing there but some junk mail.

To avoid this, I have found the FREE USPS "Informed Delivery" service very useful.

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/bo...o/start.action

If you sign up for it they will send you an email every day which includes a graphic image of most of the mail that will be delivered to your mail box in the next day or two. For the most part they appear to leave out junk mail and only show you the first class and more important mail that is on its way. I have found this to be very useful even after our mailboxes were repaired 4 weeks ago. I don't bother to stop and check the gang mail boxes when there is nothing there but junk mail.

This also showed me the bank statement that was soon to be delivered to me prior to the last break in. So when I do get around to picking up my mail at the post office, I will know whether or not that statement was stolen in the last break in.

I hope you find this useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 10:00 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
This forum seemed to be the best fit for this topic.

The gang mailboxes in my HOA and adjacent neighborhoods are being broken into at a disturbing rate. First time for mine was 5 weeks ago, it look a little over a week to get them fixed and often takes longer, meanwhile everyone had to drive to the post office to pick up their mail. Last Sunday it happened again. It occurred to me that this tip might be useful to others who have this problem or just have a mailbox located some distance from their house.

It is a real drag to have to go down to the post office or a remote mailbox to pick up your mail and find that there is nothing there but some junk mail.

To avoid this, I have found the FREE USPS "Informed Delivery" service very useful.

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/bo...o/start.action

If you sign up for it they will send you an email every day which includes a graphic image of most of the mail that will be delivered to your mail box in the next day or two. For the most part they appear to leave out junk mail and only show you the first class and more important mail that is on its way. I have found this to be very useful even after our mailboxes were repaired 4 weeks ago. I don't bother to stop and check the gang mail boxes when there is nothing there but junk mail.

This also showed me the bank statement that was soon to be delivered to me prior to the last break in. So when I do get around to picking up my mail at the post office, I will know whether or not that statement was stolen in the last break in.

I hope you find this useful.
Thanks. Our mail actually falls into our house. But one of our properties has been hit by mailbox thieves about six times in as many months. It's awful, and they really mess up the gang mailboxes...

Old 11-09-2017, 01:26 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,523,524 times
Gang mailboxes or mailbox gangs?
I got little confused here.
As I understood, the OP was talking about the clustered mailboxes. I never heard about gang mailboxes though.
Is it the same thing?

I used to live in quite a rough area where gunshots and drive-by shootings were pretty common and I always carried a gun around the house all the time. But I never experienced any mailbox breakings whatsoever. That neighborhood had clustered mailboxes.
Can't imagine how dangerous the OP's area could be...

Old 11-09-2017, 01:43 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
As I understood, the OP was talking about the clustered mailboxes. I never heard about gang mailboxes though.
Is it the same thing?

I used to live in quite a rough area where gunshots and drive-by shootings were pretty common and I always carried a gun around the house all the time. But I never experienced any mailbox breakings whatsoever. That neighborhood had clustered mailboxes.
Where we live mailboxes that are all put together and opened by a single huge door by the postal delivery person is called a gang mailbox and also a cluster box. Different terms for the same thing.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:00 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
More info about this topic here:
Check your mail before the mail man comes

Old 11-09-2017, 02:13 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,523,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Where we live mailboxes that are all put together and opened by a single huge door by the postal delivery person is called a gang mailbox and also a cluster box. Different terms for the same thing.
I see, thanks. But then of course those gang mailboxes should attract mailbox gangs, I think it's just a natural thing

Old 11-09-2017, 05:23 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Is it the same thing?

"Gang" and "cluster" are both common terms for them.

https://www.amazon.com/Greschlers-In...s=gang+mailbox

https://www.mailboxworks.com/blog/gang-mailboxes/

Last edited by CptnRn; 11-09-2017 at 06:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House