Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 07:09 AM

50,343 posts, read 63,918,476 times

Advertisements

It is my intention to plant a Sweet Autumn Climatis, and a passion vine at the base of my mailbox. Seemed like a good idea when I thought of it, and I picture it looking nice.

However, as I scout around the internet for other ideas, I've found there is a debate about doing this. The debate is: Why draw attention to a mailbox, when a mailbox is one of the things around a house that should disappear, not have attention drawn to it, like a water meter.

I totally get this, since I've never understood why people paint their gutters, garage doors, or downspouts a contrasting color, for example. I also am very conscious of my plantings having a relationship to each other and their surroundings.

I know I can do what I want, but how do you come down on this issue around your yard?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 08:08 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
We briefly had a confederate vine mailbox pot. The pot was huge and a beautiful sea blue.
They are so cute and charming and I'd rather look at them then just a solitary mailbox. I still see a solitary mailbox--it does not melt into the background for me. But that's just my opinion.

We ended up moving, and my husband refused to leave it behind.
He was able to save both confederate vine and the pot, which now are thriving in separate locations.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:36 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
for me, i like the look of a mailbox garden, but as someone who is allergic to beas/wasps/hornets, i also understand that a mail carrier has to frequently put their hand in sad box, and theres chance they too are either allergic or afraid of these frequent visitors to mailbox gardens...so i typically tend to keep the area around the mailbox relitivly clear (or with a few nice low growing plants)

Old 11-14-2010, 01:07 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,291,087 times
I love it. No matter what, mailboxes don't blend in. I've seen some very creative ones down here, and alot of folks even decorate them or dress them up for each & every holiday. Aside from doing base plantings.
This is a popular one here for those who want to throw away $400.00.

http://www.manateemailboxes.com/DSN/wwwnaturalmagiccom/Content/Images/MMmanateemail.jpg (broken link) and decorate for all the holidays.

I didn't notice where you're from, but if you have 4 seasons, you can put seasonal stuff to fill in where things die back.

Go for it.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:12 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,592 times
I'm personally happy for any excuse to create some color and depth so I'd do the planting

Old 11-14-2010, 03:18 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,378,164 times
Go for it! It will be much more attractive than just a plain old post out there. Our daughter's mail carrier often compliments her on the seasonal flowers/shrubs around hers and they do not get in the way of the mail delivery. One of my "roundtoit" projects is to drive the streets and roads and photograph the many, many unique and unusual mailboxes I see.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:04 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
I'd avoid a live mailbox garden out of respect for the mail carrier. Yes, flowers around the box are pretty. But bees and wasps buzzing around the flowers around the box are not fun for the carrier. You can dress up your mailbox with all kinds of things for the season...there are fake flowers that look amazingly realistic that you can put around the box, and there are non-flowering plants you can put around the box. I'd stick with things that don't increase the risk to the guy who delivers your paycheck.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:33 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times
I just planted tulips around my mailbox...I never even thought about allergies. Well, too late now, but I guess I should have asked first. At least the tulips will be gone by summer...

Old 11-15-2010, 11:30 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,291,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I just planted tulips around my mailbox...I never even thought about allergies. Well, too late now, but I guess I should have asked first. At least the tulips will be gone by summer...
I love seeing them too. You do know, I hope they do, multiply each year, right? What color(s) did you plant?

Old 11-15-2010, 11:35 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
I love seeing them too. You do know, I hope they do, multiply each year, right? What color(s) did you plant?
Around the mailbox, I planted red ones!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden