Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2017, 11:11 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,526,390 times

Advertisements

Hello!
Freezing temperatures are coming but I am still not ready for this nightmare. I have Carrier furnaces that have older design with pilot light.
The problem is that I cannot ignite pilot light on both furnaces. I followed the instructions and heard sound of gas passing through the main line but it didn't want to ignite. Seems like the small pilot light tubes are clogged on both units.
I tried to clean it but without luck. What would be the best way to do this? Does anyone have experience with Carrier furnaces? I'm not sure if I can reach those tiny holes (where the gas is supposed to pass through) without disassembling the whole thing.
Any recommendations on how I can do it myself? I know it is an easy way to call a contractor but I need to learn those small HVAC things myself.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 11:23 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,097,475 times
Thermal coupler is probably them problem. They are replaceable.
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/g...l-coupler.html

Old 11-22-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Thermal coupler is probably them problem. They are replaceable.
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/g...l-coupler.html
Thanks. But the gas just doesn't want to ignite. I am not sure if this is thermocouple related at all. As I see in that link, a thermocouple related issue is when the pilot ignites but then doesn't stay on. In my case it doesn't ignite at all.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:47 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
The problem is that I cannot ignite pilot light on both furnaces.
Having the same problem on two machines at the same time implies that the problem lies
outside of the machines... things like fuel but most commonly the operator.

Quote:
I followed the instructions and...
Invite your handiest neighbor over and have them try.
Be sure before you start taking things apart.

Quote:
Any recommendations on how I can do it myself?
Once you're sure then start and yeah, the thermocouple is the weak link.
Many people will keep a $5 spare one around because eventually it will be needed.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:52 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,097,475 times
Did you have the gas shut off for an extended period of time. If so it might take a while for the gas to get to the pilot to hold a flame. Just because you hear it (the gas) doesn't mean it has gotten that far yet.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
Did you have the gas shut off for an extended period of time. If so it might take a while for the gas to get to the pilot to hold a flame. Just because you hear it (the gas) doesn't mean it has gotten that far yet.
Yes it was shut off for an extended period of time.
I will try again today, will see.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Having the same problem on two machines at the same time implies that the problem lies
outside of the machines... things like fuel but most commonly the operator.

Invite your handiest neighbor over and have them try.
Be sure before you start taking things apart.

Once you're sure then start and yeah, the thermocouple is the weak link.
Many people will keep a $5 spare one around because eventually it will be needed.
Thanks I will double check
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House