Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2017, 06:01 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,413,771 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in the process of building right now. We picked a solid color cedar stain for the siding that we used. We are going for more of a rustic/country home. The windows are stock so we are stuck with the white.

We thought of doing a green roof but didn't want to make it harder to make changes in the future. We are looking for dark brown shingles for the roof.

Now for the trim. We have tried two different brown colors that just didn't go with the cedar siding. I need color help for the trim and shutter color. We will be making shutters for the windows like this:

This is the house so far:
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0458.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	193318
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 08:42 AM

17,480 posts, read 66,122,593 times
S/W Greenblack 6994

Old 12-15-2017, 09:13 AM

50,389 posts, read 64,073,157 times
Lisa, please reconsider the brown roof. I’ve never seen one that looks good, including the one on my brick house, which I didn’t choose., and the one on my parents stained shingle house. There are so many shades of brown that it’s hard to nail the color right.

I have noticed in some of your other projects that you seem to default to brown. I think brown is safe to you, but a nice med. dark charcoal roof goes with everything.

And, I too am stumped for a good shutter color against my brick and stupid reddish brown roof.

Last edited by gentlearts; 12-15-2017 at 09:39 AM..

Old 12-16-2017, 05:10 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,413,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
S/W Greenblack 6994
Thanks. I'll see if I can get a sample.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Lisa, please reconsider the brown roof. I’ve never seen one that looks good, including the one on my brick house, which I didn’t choose., and the one on my parents stained shingle house. There are so many shades of brown that it’s hard to nail the color right.

I have noticed in some of your other projects that you seem to default to brown. I think brown is safe to you, but a nice med. dark charcoal roof goes with everything.

And, I too am stumped for a good shutter color against my brick and stupid reddish brown roof.
I will have to get some samples of the roofing shingles. I agree charcoal goes better with more colors but it is so hot in Florida. We have a white/grey in TN and green on the store.

It's hard to match colors and houses with off color roofs. We did one remodel and it had an orangey roof...ended up painting the house apricot. It did look nice but there was no room for change unless the roof got painted, lol.

Yes there are too many variations/shades of brown. Hey is that a book
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House