Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 12:36 AM

3,101 posts, read 2,005,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Yes, that's the main reason most manufacturers say don't use them - because they usually DON'T have flat bottoms and so don't heat evenly, causing them sometimes to crack. If you have flat bottomed cast iron all you really have to worry about is scratching the stove surface.
I have some mild scratching, so I'll have to work on that next. I didn't know I had a glasstop stove, never heard of them. I lifted my pans & didn't drag them, but adjusted them a few times 1/2" one way or the othere & it was enough to leave slight marks on the surface. Hopefully, when I move out, they'll chalk it up to wear & tear & not damage.

Good news is all the residue is removed. Leaving on a thick coating of Vasoline twice & scraping with a plastic tool eventually worked. I never did find my utility knife, but honestly, I was afraid to do more damage than good. I'm unsure if Vasoline played a part... I think anything I put on it wouldn't matter. It was cooked on & needed scraping.

So, all is well. Thank you all again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 10:00 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Yes, that's the main reason most manufacturers say don't use them - because they usually DON'T have flat bottoms and so don't heat evenly, causing them sometimes to crack. If you have flat bottomed cast iron all you really have to worry about is scratching the stove surface.
I wouldn't even have a pan that didn't have a flat bottom. I don't think it's true that they "usually" don't. I think that is probably true for the ones that people pick up in thrift stores. But both of mine came from a second-hand shop in the mountains, and every pan the guy had was in perfect shape. Wish I had bought a couple more now, to give away to others.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I need some help. Firstly, I don't know if my electric stovetop is glass or ceramic. When I moved into my apt, maintenance left a product called Cerama Bryte cooktop cleaner, but it doesn't state which surface it's used for... perhaps all. I asked the Rental Office which surface my stovetop has & they said all apts differ. When I brought a pic on my phone, I was told it was either ceramic or glass. Well, gee, that's not very helpful. So... here's my problem.

I slow cooked something for 10-hrs & it left a bit of cooked-on residue. The stovetop is flat, with no raised burners & scuffs easily, so I only place my pans on top of wire racks, so as not to distress the surface. Still, sometimes drips occur. I cannot get the residue off the surface. Part of the issue is even though I Google'd cleaning methods, they differ depending upon the surface top. If it's glass, I found something that said I can scrape it off with a razor blade... I'm unsure if I can do that if it's ceramic? Since I'm a renter, I don't want to ruin the surface.

I've tried every household mild cleaner & trick I could find... making a paste with cream of tartar & vinegar, shampoo, diswashing liquid mixed with baking soda, straight baking soda, salt & lemon juice, sugar, face cream, olive oil & the Cerama Bryte with the special sponge it comes with... I've also used all purpose spray cleaners & gently scrubbed with towels, sponges, mild scrapers. I'm unsure if I can use Brillo or Barkeeper's Friend, so I'm hesitant... from what I've read online, I cannot. Nothing has worked, even when letting all of the above sit for a bit & using each method 2-3 times... not even a little of it has come off. There's not much reside (about 4-6" long x 1/4-1/2" wide), but I still need to remove it, particularly as I'm moving out in a month.

Before I spend a fortune on a basketful of cleaners, can anyone help me with this? Also, if it makes a huge difference, I can post a pic & perhaps someone can identify the surface. I do not have any kind of booklet with the stove & there is no brand name on it or inside the oven door... maybe it's on the back of the stove, but of course, I cannot move it.

Lastly, I was cooking chicken, so even looked up what breaks down protein (the juice that dripped whenever the lid was removed) & found it's protease. But, when I look up protease, there are 7 kinds, so I don't know which chemical or substance will break down cooked on chicken juice. Jeez... didn't know I needed to be a scientist to clean my stove.

Any help would be most appreciated! Happy New Year, All!
I have found the easiest, quickest and no muscle way is to use oven cleaner. Turn on all burners for about 1 minute. Turn off burners, (make sure burners are not to hot or spray (oven cleaner) will fly up). Spray the oven cleaner on glass top, let sit for about 20 minutes. Wipe stove top off with paper towel first, then clean with sponge. Works every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House