Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 09:54 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times

Advertisements

Dumb question, I know.

But I was looking at skylights, and got to thinking that literally none of the houseplans that we looked at for a potential new build had skylights. Is there a reason? As in, a functional reason? Or are they just not trendy anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 04:19 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Are skylights not "cool" anymore?

...none of the houseplans that we looked at for a potential new build had skylights. Is there a reason?
As in, a functional reason? Or are they just not trendy anymore?
The 10% of applications where they're objectively warranted (eg low light rooms) have them.
Maybe newer homes are being designed for having better natural light ?

Old 01-15-2018, 07:39 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
We used Solartubes in our upstairs hallway. I wish we had put a few more in. They are awesome.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:47 AM

14,488 posts, read 12,114,400 times
I have a lot of clients who like them when we look at houses, but when we re-roofed our house this summer, we took ours out. They're hot in summer, and suck the heat out in winter.

I understand ours were older and more efficient designs exist, but in the end, it's still an unnecessary hole in the roof, and they're noisy. We get enough rain in Washington... I don't want to hear it, all winter.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:54 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
As Diana Holbrook said: "Unnecessary hole in the roof."

There are lots of reasons why unnecessary holes in the roof are disadvantages, and as Mr-Rational alluded, only one good reason.

Skylights are much more opportunity for failure: A weak link in the thermal barrier, a weak link in the water barrier, a weak link in the audio barrier, a weak link in the physical impact barrier...and much more expensive than beneficial to overcome any of those issues.

If the room has no window, a skylight becomes a good idea, despite disadvantages of a hole in the roof. But a better designed home won't have windowless rooms.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:41 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Skylights were in two houses we used to own, one in CO and one in western WA.

The large CO skylight was in an unheated workshop/side room that also had huge sliding glass doors, an entire wall of windows, and faced SW. It was brutally hot in summer and frigid in winter, not to mention blindingly bright all year round despite being in a forested site. We removed that skylight and temps moderated afterward. We kept the smaller, better-located skylights in the other rooms. At least one of them sometimes leaked after a long period of heavy snows and freeze-thaw cycles.

None of these situations or problems occurred in the gigantic skylights we had in the WA house. They were more modern, installed by a much better tradesman, and placed on a steep sloped roof facing north. I loved those skylights for the ventilation (they could be opened), views, and beautiful light. That north side got light bounced around from both the Strait of Juan de Fuca and from Admiralty Inlet (sea nearby on two sides of the house). Although that room got natural light from windows on the three other sides as well as from the skylights, we would never have wanted to remove them. No way, no matter how out of fashion they got. Not even the gloomiest winter solstice days got dark in there or in the stairwell that wound down from it. Horses for courses.

Now that we are getting a house built in an even sunnier part of CO, skylights are not in our radar at all. Windows on vertical walls will provide enough light. The one exception is the unwindowed laundry room (I wanted a window for it but DH dominated that decision). He had better not complain about no natural light in there!

Old 01-15-2018, 09:42 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We used Solartubes in our upstairs hallway. I wish we had put a few more in. They are awesome.
How long have you had them? Any photos showing their effect?

Old 01-15-2018, 09:56 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,864,413 times
I really love my skylights! They are newer ones and don't seem to be leaky...but they sure do increase the amount of light coming in. During these Midwest winters they are especially appreciated.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:12 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post

None of these situations or problems occurred in the gigantic skylights we had in the WA house. They were more modern, installed by a much better tradesman, and placed on a steep sloped roof facing north. I loved those skylights for the ventilation (they could be opened), views, and beautiful light. That north side got light bounced around from both the Strait of Juan de Fuca and from Admiralty Inlet (sea nearby on two sides of the house). Although that room got natural light from windows on the three other sides as well as from the skylights, we would never have wanted to remove them. No way, no matter how out of fashion they got. Not even the gloomiest winter solstice days got dark in there or in the stairwell that wound down from it. Horses for courses.
Do you have picture or brand of the WA skylights? How big was it?

Old 01-15-2018, 12:04 PM

61,722 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I have a lot of clients who like them when we look at houses, but when we re-roofed our house this summer, we took ours out. They're hot in summer, and suck the heat out in winter.

I understand ours were older and more efficient designs exist, but in the end, it's still an unnecessary hole in the roof, and they're noisy. We get enough rain in Washington... I don't want to hear it, all winter.

^^^ Probably this!! ^^^^
So, depends on your climate - they are great or not.
I have tubular, and it's like a oven from hell in Summer. Tint and insulation isn't helping.
Used to have regular skylights in Germany and they were like heaven. Made house so much brighter especially during Fall/Winter "gray" days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House