Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 03:10 PM

24,630 posts, read 17,368,129 times

Advertisements

My wife went down to check on her wash this afternoon and found a puddle on the floor. I checked the usual suspects such as the fill hoses and drain hose then I pulled off the front panel for a look inside.
We started the wash again and let it fill up with a light wash and it just kept filling until water gushed out of the overflow.
My wife looked on her phone for a solution and came up with 2 possibilities, the water level switch or the water shut off valve.
I then went to my computer to check out how to videos and part prices and I came across a video where a guy had pulled the hose which leads to the water level switch and cleaned it out. I
checked mine and sure enough there was gunk in there which I cleaned out. I cut a new end, blew into it and I could hear a click up at the dial. It sure didn't take much pressure to get it to click on and off.
I put the hose back on, tested the water level on a light wash cycle and it did exactly what it was supposed to.

Now that was an easy fix and cheap too.

This also had me thinking about warning people. When you run your dishwasher or washing machine do not start it and leave the house. I couldn't imagine the mess of a flooded basement if we had gone out and that thing had kept pumping water. It was such a simple thing to fail and easy to fix but what a disaster it could have been.
If this happens to you you will now know that this is a thing to check on before spending lots of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 07:28 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,682,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
When you run your dishwasher or washing machine do not start it and leave the house.
I agree. I'm always home when running the dishwasher, washing machine. Wife thinks I'm weird.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:43 PM

23,645 posts, read 70,618,274 times
"When you run your dishwasher or washing machine do not start it and leave the house."

Your warning is some of the best advice you can find on the internet.

NOTHING happens in my home while I am away. Every flame source is extinguished, no appliance is left running, no space heater is allowed to be on. Dishwasher or clothes washer? I don't think so. About the only things that get a pass are the security cameras and upload to the net and the heat pump.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:54 PM

61,962 posts, read 87,612,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"When you run your dishwasher or washing machine do not start it and leave the house."

Your warning is some of the best advice you can find on the internet.

NOTHING happens in my home while I am away. Every flame source is extinguished, no appliance is left running, no space heater is allowed to be on. Dishwasher or clothes washer? I don't think so. About the only things that get a pass are the security cameras and upload to the net and the heat pump.
^^^ This!!! THIS!!! ^^^
I remember driving to visit friends across the country, and 3 hrs away from home I got the sudden nagging thought: "did I unplug the iron???"
Guess what? I turned around and went back home to check. It was unplugged, of course - but I would not leave home without being 100% sure that EVERYTHING that could cause any damage is turned off. It doesn't matter if I am leaving for vacation or run errands around the town.

Old 01-18-2018, 08:15 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,885,381 times
Uhmmm ...
How many of you close off the valves that supply the hot and cold water *to* the washing machine, after the washing is done ?

The supply to my dishwasher is a *hard* line, so that stays pressurised !

Old 01-18-2018, 08:25 PM

23,645 posts, read 70,618,274 times
Good point. I use reinforced lines to the washer and being rural my water pressure is lower than most, but you do make a point for people on municipal supplies - especially in the south where the cold weather can cause freezing.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:15 PM

5,610 posts, read 6,546,352 times
My downfall was going to bed with the dishwasher running. After awhile I either woke up or just realized I was hearing the water pump running for longer that it should have been. Got up, kitchen carpet was soaked, and the water was running down the wall into the newly remodeled basement, which also had carpeting, resulting in that getting soaked as well. What a mess. Had to have a water extractor company come out the next day and then leave fans running for long periods of time.

Old 01-19-2018, 12:21 AM

9,445 posts, read 6,603,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
My downfall was going to bed with the dishwasher running. After awhile I either woke up or just realized I was hearing the water pump running for longer that it should have been. Got up, kitchen carpet was soaked, and the water was running down the wall into the newly remodeled basement, which also had carpeting, resulting in that getting soaked as well. What a mess. Had to have a water extractor company come out the next day and then leave fans running for long periods of time.

what a bummer!

Old 01-19-2018, 07:39 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,145,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Uhmmm ...
How many of you close off the valves that supply the hot and cold water *to* the washing machine, after the washing is done ?

The supply to my dishwasher is a *hard* line, so that stays pressurised !

This is a very good point. Years ago, my sister-in-law was away for a few nights and returned home to a basement with 3' of water. The door to the backyard sadly had a tight fit and it kept the water inside. A washing machine hose blew out at the connection to the washer.

That was a lesson for all of us in the family, turn off the supply when not using the washer. It meant changing the supply shut off when we bought this house so it was accessible.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:42 AM

24,630 posts, read 17,368,129 times
Water is so destructive.
I bet we all have dealt with water issues like burst pipes or leaks in appliances or we know someone that has had to deal with the resulting mess.

I know someone that recently went away and she came back to broken pipes in 2 houses, she has several that she rents and many more that she manages. She is not a very good manager since she either didn't have the heat turned up enough or no one was checking on the vacant houses. In our area we had a bunch of days with temps dipping into the single digits.

That is very good advice to shut of the water valve when the washer is not in use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House