Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 09:57 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times

Advertisements

When I first got into the home building game, the life expectancy of copper piping was 30 years. Houses built back in the late 60's are still using the same copper piping. The life expectancy of PEX is 30-35 years. So from a "life expectancy" they"ll last about the same. I've been using Pex since the 90's or about 25 years. Never have had any issues with it except for a errant nail during construction that showed up when we put the system under 110lbs of air for 8 hours. We use their manifolds as well and homeowners love the manifolds. So if I were building my own personal house, it would have Pex, not copper.

I can say I have had jobs we were called out on where a national builder used 1/4" copper for a return line on the hot water side so that there was "instant" hot water in the kitchen. The constant flow of hot water in the lines caused pin holes in the copper. Anytime you have hot water and it's losing heat, know that you are losing heat energy and the energy is doing work of some kind. What it was doing was eating the copper from the inside. We simply eliminated the copper return line and in a few cases, installed at the builders expense, a tankless (and worthless in my opinion) water heater under the sink. There was no "instant" hot water even with the heater. We never did find a unit that would yield 140F water for the dishwasher. Found a bunch of them that would really spin the electric meter though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 05:31 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Unless the copper was done poorly to begin with, 30 years to copper is like yesterday. We recently moved from a house with nearly 50-year-old copper plumbing, and I loved it.

Of course if you live in Florida, you will be told by numerous plumbers that the copper pipes need to go because they corrode in our climate. My house is 48 years old and when I moved in I had some faucets replaced and the first plumber, who I know and trust, told me I should get the whole house repiped in the near future. Ditto for the second opinion. I know copper pipes are supposed to be the best in northern climates (I learned that from Moonstruck ) but not so here.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:14 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,097,475 times
I did a complete reno on my house 17 years ago. All my water supply lines are copper, which I ran down the center of the house, and then branching to each fixture as needed. When it came to installing my heat runs I switched over to pex, because the majority of those runs ran along the exterior walls. Doesn't take much to burst a copper pipe, where as pex will just expand, and then return to its original shape. I felt better going this route, at least in my mind anyway.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:30 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
My house was built in 1973 and still has the original copper pipes. I did find one small pinhole leak in the crawlspace that would drip maybe once per hour, and oddly enough it has stopped on its own.

Around here all of the new houses use PEX, it’s even buried under slabs.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:50 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
The homes here are mid 1950's and all copper... including the Drain, Waste and Vent lines...

Sixty years and one single elbow failed...

East Bay of the SF Bay Area

Old 01-21-2018, 09:06 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Pex gets some shadow of the bad image of PB plastic plumbing. My house, built in 1995 with PB, has few problems so far because we have a well and no chlorine in the water. I have had severe corrosion of a few copper fittings in the system; they were installed incorrectly by the builders. Those were replaced with Shark push to fit and Pex with transitions. Quite the PITA. All the upgrades I have done were with Pex. I did buy a compression tool that works with a Vise Grip. If you are redoing a whole house, buy the crimper.
Part of the PB failure was the concept of continuous runs with no right angle joints where there were 90* turns in the run. These led to overstressed turns. Where there are severe angles, installing metal fittings with crimps is better. The Shark fittings are too expensive for most parts of the installation. Plastic Pex fittings are questionable, to me.
Another consideration with copper in a rework environment is the likelihood of starting a fire while sweating pipe joints. There are anti-flash compounds to prevent that.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:31 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Of course if you live in Florida, you will be told by numerous plumbers that the copper pipes need to go because they corrode in our climate.
It will, but it's not like it's subtle. It'll turn green and crumbly.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
My daughter is planning a remodel of her kitchen and 2 baths. I'm going to redo the plumbing all through the house, as it is now it's copper and over 30 years old.
And? There is houses with 100 year old copper, you only replace if you have reason to.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:31 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,638,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
Not enough time has passed yet. There were fitting failures from stuff installed 10 or 15 years ago...something to do with "red brass" but the new material is supposed to be okay.
PEX has been used in Europe for at least 30 years. I was using there in the early 90s... no issues, people love it, fast cheap good.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:27 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
In a freeze, copper will promptly burst, PEX not so likely. Copper is quite expensive these days. I've had two homes with PEX (each for greater than 7 years). One was a cottage that the basement froze solid in the winter and had a few runs where water remained after draining. Neither place had a problem. At this point in time, I'd go PEX.

BTW, I sweat copper like a pro. 68 consecutive joints in a row, not a single leaker or popper. There's a "method" but not that difficult to grasp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House