Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 02:41 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times

Advertisements

Your house is gorgeous!!! I'm filled with envy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 05:39 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Your house is gorgeous!!! I'm filled with envy.
Thank you! It's been a good house in the 2.5 years that I have lived here, no issues whatsoever, not even flooding in the basement during historic rainfall events.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:19 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times

Old 02-26-2018, 08:23 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
That's our house restored ColdAilment. Yes I agree you have a Four Square. I hope this gives you some inspiration to pull off that siding. I don't think your front porch was enclosed originally. Ours was screened in and we ripped that out right away. I have some pictures of the interior of our house in my photo album with period stencils, wall paper, and historic traditional Arts and Crafts colors.

Old 02-28-2018, 05:37 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
That's our house restored ColdAilment. Yes I agree you have a Four Square. I hope this gives you some inspiration to pull off that siding. I don't think your front porch was enclosed originally. Ours was screened in and we ripped that out right away. I have some pictures of the interior of our house in my photo album with period stencils, wall paper, and historic traditional Arts and Crafts colors.
I think you're one of the only ones in here suggesting to pull off the wood siding!

I will flip through your album when I have some extra time, thank you for sharing, definitely trying to get some more ideas on what to do!

Old 03-02-2018, 12:45 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I think you're one of the only ones in here suggesting to pull off the wood siding!

I will flip through your album when I have some extra time, thank you for sharing, definitely trying to get some more ideas on what to do!
I think he was speaking about the siding enclosing your once open porch, not all of your wood siding by the pictures of his similarly sided house but I could be wrong.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:14 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I live in a 1942 Cape with wood and aluminium siding. The wood is in terrible shape because the previous owner did not keep up with the paint. It needs to be repainted every few years. We will be residing this summer and we're replacing all of it with vinyl. We can clean vinyl with no trouble. We are not about to spend thousands of dollars every 5 years to have our house repainted. Almost every house in our neighborhood has been resided with vinyl. It's cheap and easy to maintain which is a big deal in snow country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
It's your house. But instead of paying thousands every few years, you could spend a hundred or two every year, and do one side a year. It's not that tough or time consuming. On the other hand, I can understand not wanting to do it at all.
I have a 1300 sq foot house, 1.5 stories, not old, with wood siding and it costs $4000 to $4500 to have it painted. I, like many people, am not capable of painting it myself. When I moved in here in VT, my neighbor told me it needs to be done every 6 years. That is a MAJOR expense.

Maybe the hundred or two every year that you speak of is just for the paint?

Old 03-03-2018, 12:15 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Yes, if you do the one time investment of a couple ladders, brushes, scrapers, etc., then each year you do one side; a couple hundred bucks ought to cover primer and paint. This assumes you can get up on a ladder and scrape and paint. If you are elderly or disabled, obviously you will have to pay someone. The major cost is labor.

If your life is flat out busy and you have no time, but you have some money, it is certainly a valid choice to choose to pay someone to paint your house.

However, if you are of normal physical condition and average intelligence, you are "capable of painting it [yourself]". You may have valid reasons to choose not to do so. I am capable of changing the oil in my cars, but at present I choose to pay someone else to do it. I am capable of preparing my own income tax but at present I choose to pay someone else to do it. If I needed to fell a 60 foot oak tree a foot in diameter, I am not capable of doing it and therefore I would have to pay someone.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:49 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
FWIW, I live in NE Ohio, which probably has weather that is more similar to that of the OP's stated location. I had my house painted--cheaply--in June of 2013, to appease the city code enforcement people. It wasn't even scraped, just power washed, before the new paint was sprayed on. And, the paint is still holding up pretty well, almost 5 winters later.

With the milder Midwest climate, a good paint job, with good prep, can probably last 10-15 years. I also think painting one side per year is a good way to make the cost more bearable.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:03 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
A good quality vinyl siding is .040" thick (2/5"). Not 1/8".
.040" vinyl siding is actually the cheapest, thinnest crap you can get. "Decent" vinyl is .043-.044, and "good" is .046.

Also, .040" is 2/50", not 2/5".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House