Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 12:02 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times

Advertisements

It takes maybe a minute for urine to soak through carpet into the pad. Once that happens, the only way to get the odor out is to take up the carpet and replace the pad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 12:03 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
The other thing is styles change. By the time you are ready to put in the hardwood, you very well might not be able to match the other stuff, and the only choices will be a contrasting floor which will look odd, or replace everything. Better to do it now and let age naturally with the rest of the house.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:20 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
I've been mopping up dog urine, loose poop, vomit, cat vomit, etc. off carpets for more than 40 years and still do. I put multiple folded paper towels on the wet spots, and stand on the paper towels to soak up the liquid, move the paper towels and replace them until all the liquid comes up and stops showing on even a single paper towel. Then I use several clorox wet wipes to vigorously rub the area. Cleans up the stain and the smell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
It takes maybe a minute for urine to soak through carpet into the pad. Once that happens, the only way to get the odor out is to take up the carpet and replace the pad.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:27 PM

22 posts, read 34,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Clipping dog nails takes ONE minute every other week, you don't have time for that?

I can tell you that it's not an issue on any hardwood I've had with dogs ranging from 15 to 70lbs, even active where we run them up/down the halls chasing toys when it's nasty outside.

As for spills/liquids, clean them up within a couple hours and it's a non-issue. And it is FAR easier to clean wood floor than carpet...
Actually, I don't have time "for that" right now. I care for my young child and two sick parents (one who survived a massive stroke and another with moderate dementia and other chronic health issues). I'm also a full time doctoral student. The dogs' nails are the last thing I think about these days. Thanks for providing feedback.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I have hardwood in my kitchen, you couldn't pay me to have a tile floor in there! It's more forgiving on my body and also on the things I drop. No more smashed plates and cups on what felt like a daily basis in my last house with a tile floor in the kitchen. As long as you wipe off spills, it does just fine. And a big flood would ruin any floor, not just a wood one.
We have tile in our current kitchen, and I hate it! It gets really slick with a small amount of water. I've slipped so many times on it . My son has taken a few spills on it it as well. I hate walking on that floor barefoot; it gets really cold.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
You need a mobile pet groomer. No, not a luxury in your busy life. They can do whatever you ask for...including a regular nails-only appointment.

Interview well. I had a great one, a vet tech who just wanted to do this, but who was nervous with old animals. She wasn't sure of the ins and outs. So check that out. You may want yours to do at least the older dog in the house where it's near familiar things. (The move and newness is a whole other thing.) Set up a time for the groomer and pets to get acquainted. The groomer can come and take the yorkie, at least, out to be groomed and trimmed in your driveway.
That sounds like a good idea! Thanks!

Old 03-13-2018, 12:32 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red980 View Post
We have tile in our current kitchen, and I hate it! It gets really slick with a small amount of water. I've slipped so many times on it . My son has taken a few spills on it it as well. I hate walking on that floor barefoot; it gets really cold.
In all fairness, finished hardwood gets slick when wet too, so you still have to wipe up any spills right away. But yes, it's FAR more comfortable to walk on barefoot. And much better for your little guy to play with his trucks on than carpeting.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
When we bought our current home 12 years ago it had wall to wall carpet everywhere except for 12" tile in the kitchen, batrooms, front entrance and laundry areas. We replaced all the wall to wall carpets with the best hardwood floor at Lowes. It is 2-1/4" wide, 3/4" thick maple with a hard polyurethane baked on coating. Maybe because it is a light wood with the natural grain showing through it hasn't shown any scratches from our dogs or cat. The floor needs no maintenance other than wet mopping with Swiffer wet mop pads, and they look new. It does show a few indentations where heavy stuff dropped on the floor, but because of the color they are very hard to see. Also we have area rugs in the bedrooms and dining room. It was about $5K for the flooring and $5K for the installation, for about 1,000 sq. ft. total. I think the convenience and look was well worth it.
I believe the floor we picked is "gunstock." I hope it is light enough. I'm not sure about the quality of the hardwood as it is the builder's selection.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:47 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,961,640 times
Good luck with the floor and congratulations on the new house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by red980 View Post
I believe the floor we picked is "gunstock." I hope it is light enough. I'm not sure about the quality of the hardwood as it is the builder's selection.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:59 PM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I've been mopping up dog urine, loose poop, vomit, cat vomit, etc. off carpets for more than 40 years and still do. I put multiple folded paper towels on the wet spots, and stand on the paper towels to soak up the liquid, move the paper towels and replace them until all the liquid comes up and stops showing on even a single paper towel. Then I use several clorox wet wipes to vigorously rub the area. Cleans up the stain and the smell.
Take a urine detector black light to those carpets and prepare to be very grossed out. Six bucks at Wal-Mart. (You can use it to look for Scorpions too.)

We had carpet in family rooms and bedrooms in all our prior homes in Phoenix. When we built the current one, we added manufactured hardwood wherever the builder didn't include it, even the closets. The bathrooms and laundry are the only areas that are tiled. Yes, we have pets. And we have frequent guests and some pretty big parties. DH wears slippers and I go barefoot. Our guests can wear whatever they want.

With the exception of a couple of dents and one gouge from dropped, heavy objects, we Bona every couple of months and those floors look brand new. 5 years later.

I'm not so thrilled with it Iin the kitchen. Thats where most of the dents are (dropped pots, dropped cans). And having to wipe up water quickly is a PITA. But in my area of the country (raleigh), tiled floors (or travertine) isn't at all common and would look strange.

Carpet? Never, never again. He'll, I don't even like it much in hotel rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House