Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it customary for guest to wear shoes inside your house? What are you from?
Yes. from USA 220 64.52%
No. from USA 89 26.10%
Yes. From Europe 6 1.76%
No. From Europe 7 2.05%
Yes. Other foreign countries 3 0.88%
No. Other foreign countries 16 4.69%
Voters: 341. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 07:51 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,882,545 times

Advertisements

Do People from England wear shoes in their houses too? Anybody from Britain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 07:57 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,271,398 times
Soooo...

It's been 32 pages of posts here. Has anyone changed their politics or their religion or their shoes-or-no-shoes rules yet?

Old 03-31-2018, 08:03 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I wear socks almost all the time, too. Even to sleep in. It helps stave off colds (I rarely get colds).

But that has nothing to do with people coming into my house.

You can buy those plastic vinyl guards to put all over the carpet and on your furniture. That way, it stays looking like new and free of germs! (or so some silly people think)

I do put towels & sheets on the furniture for the dog to sit on. I remove them, of course, for company. My dog is allowed on the furniture. It's her house, too. She is family.
Wait, you get colds through your FEET? And here I thought colds were caused by a rhinovirus entering through your nose, eyes or mouth. For the record, for the vast majority of my almost 70 years on the planet, I hated socks with a passion and never wore them - and didn't get colds, even when I was the mother of small children in day care and elementary school.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:39 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
What about wheelchair wheels, walker wheels/legs,rollators or other medical mobility assistant devices??

Are people supposed to wash them off every time people need to use them in your house??
Yes if they are muddy or have poop on them, We have not had this issue. Not sure what we would do. Our mudroom door is not wide enough for a wheelchair, the other seven doors are all up or down stairs. I am not sure a wheelchair could get into our house at all. The only wheelchair guest we have had came to an outdoor barbecue and he was able to geet up and walk a little when he needed to use the bathroom
When my mom had a walker, she carried little socks she woudl slip over the legs when she went inside someone's house

Old 03-31-2018, 08:59 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
As the parent of a disabled daughter, I can surely say no.....

BUT, in both these cases the chairs and the walkers usually come from the car (close to the house) and travel as short a distance as possible. Often they are in the attached garage so the entire path is pretty clean.

And, yes, even my daughter has multiple walkers and wheelchairs - one in the house, and then another walker in the garage which is the one we usually take with.

The point here is that I'm no saying no one (even us!) has come into our house with shoes on. I've done it and guests have done it. A short term guest in good weather would probably not be asked to remove them...a longer term overnight guest would likely WANT to do he same thing as others (we have shoe baskets both inside and outside).

If I can brag for a moment - all of our hardwood floors look quite nice. One house has this cherry which scratches as soon as you look at it! That one is near the beach and woods and we have a horse farm next door. Even a small dog scratches that floor up bad....but we found some good products for restoring it and hiding scratches.

Hey, we live like Kings and Queens. What can I say? It's nice to have a clean place. Last week I went to a decent hotel in Florida and thought it was crudy. Of course the 3 inch long Palmeto bug didn't help.
So if she had a guest who was likewise disabled and they came in a wheel chair or with a walker, you would assume that they never used that wheelchair anywhere but at home - certainly not out in public where it might get dirt on it?

Old 03-31-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
What about wheelchair wheels, walker wheels/legs,rollators or other medical mobility assistant devices??

Are people supposed to wash them off every time people need to use them in your house??
This is a straw man argument. Residential homes don't need to be ADA compliant, so a wheelchair would clearly not be an issue for the average person who asks guests to remove their shoes, except in very rare instances.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:21 AM

I've also noticed that the numbers of the poll keep increasing, but the percentages have stayed almost exactly the same. That's interesting...

Old 03-31-2018, 10:21 AM

715 posts, read 1,073,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So, what you're saying is that you've reached a point in life where your own convenience overrides the comfort of your guests. That it's all about you possibly having to sweep the floors afterwards than about the time with them.
What I’m saying is what I already said clearly in the post you quoted. You’re adding your own filter to it.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:33 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
I would rather have guests wear shoes in my house than go barefooted in my house.

I'm from the US, and this was never even a question. Everyone I knew and grew up with wore shoes in their home and in other peoples homes. If shoes are muddy or something, then yes, you would take them off first.

My neighborhood has changed demographically. About 75% of my neighbors are Asian now. Even so, only 1 family on the block has a clear plastic covered shelving unit on their front porch to retrieve and deposit shoes at. I guess this just shows that most new immigrants adopt the customs of their new country.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:11 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
I mostly wear slippers inside my home. If my guests want to wear shoes it is ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House