Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 12:24 AM

17 posts, read 41,375 times

Advertisements

I really appreciate all the input! Thank you everyone!

I would definitely verify the HOA rules, but some other units in the building do have washer/dryer. Don't know if they are ventless or not. It's a 25+ unit loft building. Perhaps the top floor and/or corner units are able to vent externally, but others in the middle are not?

I would of course prefer to find a place that already has a W/D and avoid this hassle, but there are other factors about this unit which made me curious to research further, and a lower price point vs the area.

The building does have a laundry room, as a last resort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 07:50 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls91 View Post

The building does have a laundry room, as a last resort.

You could use a portable washer which work well and take your clothes down to dry them. I say this because compact 110 dryers don't dry as fast as larger dryers.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:42 AM

906 posts, read 1,768,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls91 View Post
Hello,

Looking at a condo unit in Chicago which lacks a washer/dryer. I asked the listing agent if it would be possible to add them. Agent said the machine must be electric and ventless, and could be added under a kitchen counter or in the second bathroom.

Would this be a major project? Is it worth considering a condo unit like this? It has many other good qualities and is much lower priced vs. the general market. I'm surprised that the current unit owner hasn't already done this, but maybe they were fine with using the existing in-building laundry room. Or maybe they found out that it's more trouble than it's worth.

I know nothing about home repairs / projects - obviously a water source is required for the washer; for the dryer, my brief research online says that electric costs more to operate than gas. Any other drawbacks?

Thank you!!
If having the ability to do laundry in your unit is important to you, look for another condo. There is no good option for a "ventless" dryer. If you like this condo, either plan on using the laundry facilities in the building or look for another condo with washer/dryer hookups and a vent in place.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:34 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,844,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
There is no good option for a "ventless" dryer.
This is not true.
Consider that they are in use all over Europe.
Consider the https://www.mieleusa.com/domestic/pr...135_C_Vario_EL
or
http://www.bosch-home.com/us/product...compact-dryers
or
http://www.askona.com/laundry/pro-ho...4476/t884xlhpw

Last edited by davebarnes; 03-27-2018 at 01:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House