Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 10:38 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times

Advertisements

No need for critiquing-

If you don't like, you don't like it. I would hope and have to assume that there was some lengthy conversation as to what you wanted(?)- if so, clearly he wasn't listening!

Perhaps there needs to be another more defined and clearly communicated conversation. And if that doesn't get results you picked the wrong man for the job!

Picking an architect is like a job interview for a nanny- intimate details are shared, background is laid out on the table, because this person is going to be taking care of your baby (house/dream/vision)- it is NOT- "draw me a pretty picture!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 09:00 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefeather1978 View Post
What are the disadvantages of having a closet inside the bathroom ? Seems to be quite a common feature in houses here..
We have a linen closet and a walk-in closet in our master bath and it’s fantastic! It’s nice to have towels at hand and the walk-in closet is very convenient! It will also add a lot of value to your home!!

If I was you I’d tell the architect exactly what you want and to come up with a new concept that includes it OR find a new architect!! It’s your money! Make sure you get what you want!

Old 03-25-2018, 02:21 PM

70 posts, read 149,149 times
Trying my hand at creating the floor plan myself thanks for the linen closet suggestion- super useful. Would love comments on this layout I came up with.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding bathroom and closet-814a05c6-b02d-4d51-bf17-9503d8b16956.jpeg  

Old 03-25-2018, 03:49 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,161 times
About shower/bathroom type towels....you can do some closed or open shelves below or above.

I don't like to walk through a bathroom to a clothes/shoe closet, preferring the clothes/shoe closet to be more of a connection with the bedroom suite and not beyond the bathroom.

There's also the issue of increased humidity from the bathtub or shower after use getting into the clothes/shoes if they are beside each other.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:03 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
We have to go through our bathroom to get to the walk in closet. Even here in Florida, I've never had an issue with humidity in the closet. I even keep the closet door open at all times.

Maybe it has to do with having an AC/heating vent in the closet? The shower is the farthest from the closet one can get so that may have something to do with it?

Old 03-26-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
We have to go through our bathroom to get to the walk in closet. Even here in Florida, I've never had an issue with humidity in the closet. I even keep the closet door open at all times.

Maybe it has to do with having an AC/heating vent in the closet? The shower is the farthest from the closet one can get so that may have something to do with it?
Yes, much prefer a/c and heating in the closet. With the door closed, as many do with a closet, it can get so stuffy in the closet with proper ventilation.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:21 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I had the closet through the bathroom thing in my last house. I am in dry Denver so there wasn't an issue with humidity but I still strongly prefer a separate closet. I'd put the closet door directly from the master and close off the wall between the closet and the bathroom.

I can't tell for sure from that rendering in post 13, but I would not have a window in the linen closet.

And yes, I think 230 sq ft is too small to fit in a nice sized bathroom and closet plus an additional room for an office. I would not spend all that money to do an addition and then make it a chintzy little bathroom. However, I would ask whether a tub is a necessity for you? Many master baths these days are skipping the tub in favor of a larger and luxurious shower. Yes, some people will chime in to say that they would never buy a house that doesn't have a tub in the master bath, but they seem to be the minority. IMO, it depends on what works for you - I happily gave up a master tub that I knew I'd never use in favor of a nicer shower. That would save a fair amount of space, and perhaps could be configured to allow for a small office in the size you are looking to add on.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:24 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
At a minimum, I'd have a 9 x 13 bathroom excluding closet space. That's what we have now and it's just adequate. I would have loved to have a bigger bathroom.

Personally I'd want a tub and a shower, especially if the home is over 3k sq ft.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:29 AM

Another idea you could add if it suits. Our last house I loved how handy it was to have a stackable washer/dryer set ... smaller ones in the second floor master bathroom. Vented to outside. It was near the bedroom so clothes could easily go in there and washed quickly and without a pile in a basket. Folded and back in dresser or on hangers in the closet.

Had the large washer and dryer on the lower level for larger things like sheets, blankets.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:03 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
From what I have observed lately in designing a bathroom is to think long term or what if. Example. Friend fell and broke knee cap. Was in full length cast/wheel chair while healing. Bathroom in her home was totally inaccessible. Toilet in one of those little separate rooms, couldn't get to it. Even if if was more out in the open wheel chair wouldn't fit between vanity and wall/tub. Shower was too small to fit a bench. She ended up at a friend's house until healed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House