Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2018, 06:01 PM

1,353 posts, read 789,266 times

Advertisements

We are remodeling our house, which is 25 years old.
We are changing the faucets in the bathrooms as a part of this remodeling. The faucets have some corrosion traces.
The contractor suggested we may change out the shower fixture only, not the actual shower valve.
If we decide to change the shower valves, two walls have to be opened, and repaired after installing the valves.
Do we really need to change the valves? They are made by Moen, lifetime warranty, and work OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 06:54 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,567,655 times
If they work fine, there's no reason to tear up the walls to change them. Just replace the valve trim and shower head with something newer. If you have any concerns about the valve function, you can rebuild them with new cartridges or washers.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:00 AM

1,353 posts, read 789,266 times
Johnah,

Thank you very much.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:41 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Moen tub/shower valves usually or always(?) have replaceable cartridges so the valves to no need to be replaced. While you are working in there though I would either go ahead and replace the cartridges or at least take them out and put them back in. It can be an all day job to loosen them up enough to come out, and you can crack the drywall or tile, or enclosure doing it. You need a special tool. Vinegar will help soften calcium deposits, I used PB blaster to lubricate it a bit. One one shower I need up on a stool so I could put my feet on the wall and pull on that tool with all my strength from every muscle. With lots of pulling and twisting it eventually came out. I am sure there is a better way to get those things out. Maybe a slide hammer?

They are not all that hard. The one I replaced that was so difficult was in a house built in the 1960s and it may have been original. I have replaced other Moen cartridges with a fraction of that difficulty, but none were easy.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:14 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Your plumber gave you good advice. The valve housing that is soldered to the pipes is brass and one solid piece, under normal conditions it should last many lifetimes..... As already mentioned the part that operates the valve is a cartridge, if it starts leaking or whatever you just go buy another cartridge and it's typically a very simple fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You need a special tool. Vinegar will help soften calcium deposits, I used PB blaster to lubricate it a bit. One one shower I need up on a stool so I could put my feet on the wall and pull on that tool with all my strength from every muscle. With lots of pulling and twisting it eventually came out. I am sure there is a better way to get those things out. Maybe a slide hammer? .
I had same problem. My grandmother has a bathroom upstairs probably from the 60's or 70's that didn't get used for years where the valve was stuck. I used a little wd-40 to get it unstuck. It took a while working it in and out but it did eventually come out. I wouldn't go using anything like a slide hammer, you could potentially break or crack the solder joints leading to a leak. Even with the twisting and turning make sure it's secured well to the wall if it wasn't already.

Last edited by thecoalman; 04-20-2018 at 03:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House