Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 05:57 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times

Advertisements

I think they would look great with a good cleaning and new wax. Sanding would destroy all the old character and patina. Those are nice floors, in very good condition. Little marks here and there show their history. I don't think they need to be sanded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 06:18 PM

53 posts, read 36,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think they would look great with a good cleaning and new wax. Sanding would destroy all the old character and patina. Those are nice floors, in very good condition. Little marks here and there show their history. I don't think they need to be sanded.
When it comes to cleaning.... I've started using vinegar and water. There really isn't much dirt coming up. So it seems there isn't much I'll be able to clean unless a different cleaner is recommended.

As far as new wax. The was on here is worn it seems. Should I strip what's on here before applying new wax? Of so, what's the safe way to take up the wax?

As I said, I don't mind doing less work, lol. But it's going to look odd going from the lighter colored hallway floor, to this room which is quite a bit darker.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:20 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,558,895 times
That looks like some type of oak, either red or white. Looks nearly identical to mine that I refinished myself last week (2,000 sf). Not an easy job, but mine was worse do to the amount of space I had to do (basically entire main level of home). I have a thread in the design sub forum where I’ve got some photos posted of before / after. Honestly, looking at these photos of yours, I think you would be super happy with a sanding and refinish. If you want to avoid the odor and dry time of an oil polyurethane, then look into Bona’s product lines, which are water-based and simply fantastic. I used them on mine, no odor, dried in a couple of hours for next coat, 80% cured in 24 hours (can start moving stabilized furniture back), 90% in 72 hours, and 100% in a week. Won’t amber over the years either (orange/yellow).

Old 04-09-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"How do I find out what kind of wood this is?".....most likely Red Oak.

Regards
Gemstone1
Do you have floor registers? If so, pop one out and take a few pictures of the side of the wood and post it here, we can help. They look nearly identical to mine which are red oak. The rays look the same, but need to see the side of a piece to make sure.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:23 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Clean the heck out of all the floors and be done with it. It will be very nice. Any huge grooves or dents can be steamed out.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:25 PM

This might help a little. This was my project for red oak. Some good insight from those who know to a total novice (me). End result on page 4.

//www.city-data.com/forum/home-...oak-floor.html

Old 04-09-2018, 06:31 PM

14,488 posts, read 12,121,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ11x View Post
But it's going to look odd going from the lighter colored hallway floor, to this room which is quite a bit darker.
I think that's part of the character of an old home.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:44 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Please do not use vinegar and water on your fine old oak floors. Go to a good hardware store and buy Trewax Wood Floor Cleaner and use it according to the directions. Then use Trewax wax in either a reddish tint or brownish tint and use it according to the directions. Your floors will look great. They will not look new. They aren't new. Instead they will show the patina that develops over many decades and can't be simulated, even though ignorant monkeys with chains and wire brushes try to.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:45 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I think that's part of the character of an old home.
After a while the part that was not exposed to air will [darken or lighten] to be close to the other one.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:55 PM

53 posts, read 36,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Please do not use vinegar and water on your fine old oak floors. Go to a good hardware store and buy Trewax Wood Floor Cleaner and use it according to the directions. Then use Trewax wax in either a reddish tint or brownish tint and use it according to the directions. Your floors will look great. They will not look new. They aren't new. Instead they will show the patina that develops over many decades and can't be simulated, even though ignorant monkeys with chains and wire brushes try to.
This is what you're referring to? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Trewax-3...2179/202559694

I get the floor wont look new or perfect. I can deal with that. Though, there are a couple spots that have old dried paint. Is it worth it to try and get that up? Have no idea what kind of paint it is. And some slight gouges from removing carpet tack strip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House