Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2018, 03:59 PM

584 posts, read 2,150,391 times

Advertisements

We have a one story house on slab concrete. We have a septic tank. We have two bathrooms, one we don't really use, the other we use every day. When we run the shower, or laundry in the washing machine, or wash a ton of dishes in the sink, our one toilet bubbles (the one we use) and if it bubbles too much it can cause water and maybe gunk (or possible sewage) to back up into our bathtub (the one we use). And if it is really bad, it will back up into the other bathtub too. We have had a long history with gunk in all the pipes. Like a black slimey mess, it used to come out the water holes along the rim of the toilet (where the water comes in to bowl from flushing). That seems to have gone away now that we use septic packs and pipe cleaning solutions. But we still have the issue where we can't use too much water at once. Like it doesn't drain fast enough out of the pipes. It will drain, so there is not a total clog somewhere. We have checked our roof vents, and put water down them, water goes through and then fills up in the bathtub, and lots of the black slimey and flakey gunk comes out. We have put main line cleaner in the pipes. We have snaked a little bit. I'm wondering what could be the issue? Could it still be that after all these years gunk has built up on all the pipes and because of the cleaning we are doing is breaking it off the pipes and then getting stuck or piled up on a bend somewhere? Or is the drain field not draining fast enough? Or is the roof vent partially blocked even though the water goes straight through and doesn't back up to the roof? There doesn't seem to be a total block, but more like slow draining. So when we use a normal amount of water like most people, it can't handle it and starts filling up backwards. I'm guessing that the bathroom we use every day is the lowest spot in our house/pipes. So that is why it fills first. Besides calling a plumber etc, what else can I do. And does this sound familiar to any of you? I'd appreciate some thoughts from people who have gone through something like this. One more note, we used to use the dish washer regularly but it was the first to spit out the black gunk so we stopped using it. The second noticeable was the toilet holes and rim with the black gunk. We have not used the dish washer since so don't know how that is fairing. The toilet seems to be slowly getting better with the septic packs and pipe cleansers formulas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 06:53 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,220,925 times
If putting water in the roof vents results in water entering the bathtub, you have a clog somewhere below the bathtub. Probably not a do-it-yourself problem.

Old 06-12-2018, 08:26 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
If putting water in the roof vents results in water entering the bathtub, you have a clog somewhere below the bathtub. Probably not a do-it-yourself problem.

Conceptually, I love that idea of a way to fill a bathtub. "Honey, instruct the minions to flood the roof vent. I wish to bathe!"

Old 06-13-2018, 10:21 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Ever thought about having the septic tank pumped?
How old is the system? Leach field could have failed.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:38 PM

I'm guessing around 20 years old. The toilet seems to not be flushing right now since this latest problem. It flushes fast, fills and goes all the way up to the rim almost. It also shoots out broken off gunk from the holes when filling. It is almost like debris flakes, black. Like years of gunk built up on the walls of the pipes and then it is now flaking off in bits here and there from the cleaning solutions and main line cleaner, but it isn't quite pushing it all the way through to the septic tank. We also have a large tree by the drain field, so I suppose it could also be tree roots got in the pipes or field or it isn't draining properly because of the large shade tree.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:41 PM

Also, when I last replaced the toilet, the hole in the floor was just filled with this black slimey gunk. I got some out with paper towels, but it was a lot. Does this sound like a main line clog?

Old 06-13-2018, 02:55 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
I feel pretty confident in saying you have a failed system-

You need a plumber- one who is very familiar with septic systems; especially one who is in the area. They will know soil conditions/water table/etc. With a little "digging" at the city/health department you might even find who originally installed the system.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:18 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,220,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Conceptually, I love that idea of a way to fill a bathtub. "Honey, instruct the minions to flood the roof vent. I wish to bathe!"
The concept loses its appeal when you realize you're getting sewage in with the water though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House