Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 01:43 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times

Advertisements

We are moving to a bigger apartment soon. Originally, we took a small apartment with the thought of moving to a bigger place (although we envisioned that bigger place being a condo). Since we had downsized, we got rid of a lot of furniture.

So, we need to buy more furniture but are clueless as to what to buy that would fit the new space well. Is an interior decorator the one to hire for some advice? If so, are there interior decorators that specialize in decorating smaller spaces rather than big houses?

Having never called one before, we don't know where to begin. Looking back, it might have helped when we lived in our house as or method of buying furniture was very slapdash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 02:05 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,097,475 times
A lot of furniture places now have consultants to help with the process.

Old 05-13-2018, 02:53 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIcenter View Post
A lot of furniture places now have consultants to help with the process.
Yes. Unless you are rather wealthy, you may want to consider this.

You will not be shopping at Ikea, however, better furniture stores only.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:10 PM

Thank you, both.

I wondered if furniture stores offered this type of service. We have some better furniture stores in our area. I will look into whether or not any of them offer this service.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:47 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
If you don't already have a layout drawn up of the complete apt then that would be the first thing you will want to do so anyone assisting can see everything about the room(s) that they will need to take into consideration to determine the size/placement of furniture as well as the flow of everything. It should include all room and wall measurements, exact locations of windows, doorways, entryways, wall/floor vent locations, closets, etc.

Pics would also help so they can see paint colors, flooring, etc.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:24 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Thank you, both.

I wondered if furniture stores offered this type of service. We have some better furniture stores in our area. I will look into whether or not any of them offer this service.
Not quite sure I understand. You know what furniture pieces you got rid of right? Make a list of pieces you KNOW you need to replace (based on simple function first...not stuff that is optional or just for style). Decide which room they logically would go into. Such as recliners or a couch in the room where the TV goes, a table and dining chairs where you'll gather to eat, very basic stuff first. The NEEDS, versus the WANTS.

Get some large pieces of paper (newsprint or butcher paper), cut/tape them into a generalized size of these furniture pieces, label them, and lay them out in different configurations in the rooms you know they'll go into. That can get you started visualizing what you want without paying anything to a fancy designer. Once you have a starting place you can ask for style/design type ideas from the pros and be less likely to end up with their vision instead of yours.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:11 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
If you don't already have a layout drawn up of the complete apt then that would be the first thing you will want to do so anyone assisting can see everything about the room(s) that they will need to take into consideration to determine the size/placement of furniture as well as the flow of everything. It should include all room and wall measurements, exact locations of windows, doorways, entryways, wall/floor vent locations, closets, etc.

I meant to add to just take this info above to one of the local furniture stores that have furniture that you like and they will be more than happy to assist you for free as long as you are buying furniture from their store(s). Furniture has such an outrageous markup anyway and the sales people who will assist you make commission off of what they sell so there is no way they should charge you.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:56 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,763,472 times
I believe there are some interior decorators that charge by the hour so you could always ask one to design the layout for you. I've used one (she doesn't charge hourly) and been very happy with the result. She had ideas that I would never have thought of and found some great pieces for me.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:00 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
Surprisingly, I believe that the Lazy-Boy stores now offer interior decoration advice. At least they do in Canada. And Penny's used to, but maybe they are now kaput, I'm not sure.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post

Thank you.

We can print up a layout of the new apartment. This layout contains room measurements plus locations of windows. Since we haven't seen the actual apartment as there are still tenants in there, what we don't know is the location of the outlets for Verizon Fios. Knowing where the outlets are, will help with furniture arrangement. As for wall colors---We can take a photo of a wall in our current apartment as all the apartments are painted the same, neutral color.

I've started looking at the websites of the better furniture places in the area to see if I like what they have. One place did mention that they offer free consultations regarding this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House