Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2018, 12:21 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Wrong; and part of the reason why small dogs are often so poorly behaved! Ask any dog expert, and they'll agree that EVERY dog needs exercise outside of their property/home. Even the little purse dogs. They might not need to go as far as a larger dog, since their little legs work on overtime, but they still need to be walked daily. Cesar Milan once explained this to a dog owner, when she thought her large yard was an excuse to never walk the dog - he asked "You have two young boys, right? Would they be happy with JUST playing in their own yard every day, and never being allowed to explore off your property?" She said no, to which he replied "Then why do you think your dog is okay with that?"

And again, not every dog owner has a yard. I lived in apartments for years with my dog, and even now just have a tiny duplex-sized yard. So we HAVE to go elsewhere, whether it's the local parks or around the neighborhood... and where I live, the only grass along the streets is on "private" (I use quotes because it's mostly multi-family complexes) yards. I try to steer him away from the truly private/SFH yards, but sometimes it happens before I can stop him. As long as you make the effort to avoid manicured lawns, and of course pick up any poops, I don't see the huge deal. If you're really that concerned, this is why fences were invented.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with Cesar Milan...but if you don't have the resources you believe are needed to properly care for a dog (space for it to be exercised) then why do you have a pet? You can walk your dog anywhere, that doesn't mean they should be allowed to "go" indiscriminately.

And you assume that you have free use of anyone's property unless they explicitly fence it off? It is their property whether fenced or not. Many HOA's/covenants only allow fencing of back yards, regardless. Oh, and only manicured lawns are considered private property? And you get to decide if it meets that standard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 12:25 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I don't see what the problem is as long as the person is picking up the dog poop. I have a fenced backyard but I want my dog to get a little outside stimulation and get to meet other dogs and people so we go for a once a day walk after dinner. That way she stays sociable rather than keeping her inside the house or backyard. I always bring two poo bags with me in case she happens to go twice which sometimes she does. So when she poops on somebody's lawn I always pick it up. Since she goes solid I don't understand the issue. I have no problem when somebody's dog does their business on my lawn as long as they pick it up.

I also have no brown or yellow spots from dogs peeing on my yard either especially now with rainy season. I had a neighbor once who had a corner lot and he got annoyed because a woman would stand there on his grass and wait for her kid's school bus. Some folks just need to lighten up. In the greater scheme of things is it really the end of the world if your yard has a few brown spots? Would you be on your death bed thinking "I really wish my yard didn't have dead spots on it from dog urine". Meet your neighbors, make friends of the people and their dogs. You'll be happier in the long run.
But it is soooooo easily preventable that it proves what clods some dog owners are that they see their dog peeing on a spot that is already yellow from other dogs - you can't just move on down a few yards? How is that so hard on you and your dog?

Old 05-24-2018, 01:03 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,120,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Tell us again why it is that you bought a house?

20% down. 15 year loan. Actually plopping 40 grand down on mortgage in a week. Mortgage paid off in 11 years 9 months. 350 K asset at 42 years old

Old 05-24-2018, 01:04 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,120,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Ya know, it doesn't even have to be poison. If dog owners are disrespecting your property just toss a some chunks of chocolate cake on the edge of your lawn. It won't hurt humans, but chocolate is poison to dogs. It may not kill 'em, but it'll make em real sick. They'll think twice before coming back a second time. If not, use more cake!

Anyone got any other suggestions? LOL!

Let's take back our lawns and our property from these nasty dog-walking neighbors.

Love it!

Old 05-24-2018, 01:19 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
A friend of mine stopped her neighbor's dog from peeing on her lawn. She just made sure she was out watering when the owner took his dog out and when the dog stopped to pee, she "accidentally" turned around with the hose and sprayed him.

There are sprays you can get that will keep dogs off your lawn, but you do have to reapply them after it rains. I'd do what another poster suggested. Make a small fence all around your front yard and then spray that with the Dog B Gone or whatever it is.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:41 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
20% down. 15 year loan.
Sounds like you're getting what you bargained for.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:54 PM

30,347 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Really? LMAO!
Yeah, it's SUPER funny to joke about killing people's dogs for peeing on their lawn.

That actually is illegal, so go ahead and try...

Old 05-24-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Sorry, I'm not familiar with Cesar Milan...but if you don't have the resources you believe are needed to properly care for a dog (space for it to be exercised) then why do you have a pet?
You've never heard of Cesar Milan? Okay. But I most certainly DO "have the resources to properly care for a dog" - since they need walks more than a yard. I walk my dog EVERY night for 40-60 minutes at minimum, either at the park or around our neighborhood, and he has our small yard for pottying at other times. How is this not caring for my dog properly? You can properly raise a dog in a studio apartment, as long as you're providing exercise and social stimulation through WALKS. Do you think every dog owner should have an acre of land, ffs?

The people who aren't doing a good job are the ones with big yards, who just stick the dog out there and call it a day. Would you be happy just running in circles in the same place every day and night? That's not proper exercise; that is laziness on the human's part. Anyway, you clearly don't know anything about dog behavior or their needs, so kindly refrain from talking about the subject until you do.

Quote:
You can walk your dog anywhere, that doesn't mean they should be allowed to "go" indiscriminately.
I never said that. In fact, I said that I specifically avoid letting him go on nicer lawns & single-family homes' yards. But if he wants to pee on a bush in front of a complex, or the edge of grass between the sidewalk and someone's house, that should be acceptable. Where else can he go in a suburban or urban neighborhood? Most dogs won't pee or poop on concrete, which would be the only other option.

Quote:
And you assume that you have free use of anyone's property unless they explicitly fence it off? It is their property whether fenced or not. Many HOA's/covenants only allow fencing of back yards, regardless. Oh, and only manicured lawns are considered private property? And you get to decide if it meets that standard?
Nope. Not at all what I meant, so please stop putting words in my mouth.

Last edited by gizmo980; 05-24-2018 at 02:18 PM..

Old 05-24-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Love it!
You love the idea of making dogs sick, and potentially killing them? That's pretty disturbing... get help, seriously.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:09 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yeah, it's SUPER funny to joke about killing people's dogs for peeing on their lawn.

That actually is illegal, so go ahead and try...

Get yer panties in a bunch much? The funny thing is, if you weren't guilty of letting your dog use neighbor's lawns as a toilet, you wouldn't have to concern yourself with jokes about chocolate cake.

"Here, doggie, doggie! I baked somethin' good jes' for you"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House