Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 07:13 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I see these kinds of barn-door designs on free-standing pieces at Home Goods all the time. Since HG is an outlet store, I can only hope that it means the fad is working its way out of mainstream furniture trends and into the equivalent of the 'bargain bin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 09:59 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,780 times
They now have a show called Desert Flippers. The episode synopsis I checked is the flippers buy a house at the end of an airport runway and give it an open floor plan. Because too many walls would make it too quiet next to an airport.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:52 PM

1,059 posts, read 831,002 times
I saw a rerun of House Hunters international last night. A newly wed couple moved to London for the husband's job. The wife takes the cake of any House Hunters episodes I have ever seen. She complained about everything, put down the husband because he was working within a budget of $1,800/month. She turned her nose up at the houses for rent because she wanted Notting Hill. One that she kind of liked had a school close by, but she snapped "I don't want to hear kids all day." The real estate agent explained that Notting Hill is one of the most expensive parts of London. Tough... It had to be Notting Hill. (She must have seen the movie with the same title.) They settled on an apartment close by - a studio - that cost $2,000 a month. Still not Notting Hill, though.

Like an ear worm, I cannot get "Notting Hill" out of my brain. She must have said it 25 times. The wife was a caricature of all that is wrong with many House Hunters couples (husband a wimp, wife a witch).

Old 08-11-2018, 07:04 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post

The wife was a caricature of all that is wrong with many House Hunters couples (husband a wimp, wife a witch).
I think you've discovered HH's target audience!

Old 08-11-2018, 10:50 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,780,627 times
Ha ha! I thought the same thing about the Notting Hill movie and the constant harping on how only Notting Hill will do. Maybe she's hoping Hugh Grant will just happen to appear out of nowhere.

Old 08-12-2018, 07:27 PM

8,073 posts, read 4,747,652 times
Reminds me of that episode of Keeping Up Appearances where Hyacinth (snobby wife) has her heart set on having a "country retreat" to brag about, but all they can afford is this insanely small, efficiency-type apartment in a converted "stately home". They were squeezing through tiny doors and were packed into a tiny, uncomfortable space...but all she was concerned with was that she could brag to anyone who would listen about her 'country retreat in a high-end postal code'.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:42 AM

1,059 posts, read 831,002 times
Quote:
Reminds me of that episode of Keeping Up Appearances where Hyacinth (snobby wife) has her heart set on having a "country retreat" to brag about, but all they can afford is this insanely small, efficiency-type apartment in a converted "stately home". They were squeezing through tiny doors and were packed into a tiny, uncomfortable space...but all she was concerned with was that she could brag to anyone who would listen about her 'country retreat in a high-end postal code'.
Keeping Up Appearances has always been my favorite English sitcom. I never grow tired of Hyacinth and long-suffering Richard, plus Daisy and Onslow and of course Rose. House Hunters is unintended comedy, while Keeping Up Appearances cleverly mocks social climbers as only the British can.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:57 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,895 times
Quote:
I am going to have to find that show to watch - it sounds hilarious! I think I've seen maybe one or two episodes a number of years ago but never found it again.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:51 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Aargh! I’m watching a House Hunter in which a couple in WI are looking for a tiny house, at least 200 sq ft, so they can go around the country, from campground to campground. Fine and dandy. They have 2 dogs and 2 cats and a part time kid.

The first one they looked at was 224 sq. ft. The wife starts complaining that there is not enough space for “entertaining” and there is only a twin bed for guests. I’m thinking if you have a tiny house, you keep the nearest motel on speed dial. Is it sensible to want a guest room and dining area, and room to entertain in a 200 sq ft house? I’m guessing she’s nuts.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:03 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Aargh! I’m watching a House Hunter in which a couple in WI are looking for a tiny house, at least 200 sq ft, so they can go around the country, from campground to campground. Fine and dandy. They have 2 dogs and 2 cats and a part time kid.

The first one they looked at was 224 sq. ft. The wife starts complaining that there is not enough space for “entertaining” and there is only a twin bed for guests. I’m thinking if you have a tiny house, you keep the nearest motel on speed dial. Is it sensible to want a guest room and dining area, and room to entertain in a 200 sq ft house? I’m guessing she’s nuts.
Oh, yeah, the "tiny but roomy" wish.

Classic complaints about a "tiny house":

No dishwasher?
Where am I going to keep my 200 pairs of shoes?
I wanted a full-size bathtub!
No dining table?
The refrigerator is soooo small!
Only two burners?
Where am I going to put the four dog beds?
Our 20-year-old dog can't get up those stairs.
There's no room for my treadmill.
There's no privacy!
I must have a double sink in the kitchen.

And then you get the ones who plan on living full-time in 200 square feet with four children and three dogs because "we want to get closer to nature and will be out beachcombing most of the time!!!" yeah, wait until it rains for 12 days straight and the homicide sets in....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House