Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2018, 06:05 PM

764 posts, read 1,422,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Can't stand Chip Gaines. He is sooo corny.
I thought I was the only one on the planet who can't stand Chip Gaines! Glad to know there are two of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
(snip)
I thought Joanna Gaines went through at least 2 seasons of staging at least one giant clock or clock-like device in every home she decorated. I only watched a few episodes and after I saw a giant clock in a few shows, I asked my wife about it--she said it was a regular thing for a long time. Oh, and her woodwork dude---"I want a nice porch swing, but keep it under $2500"...LOL. I can build you several high-quality porch swings for $2500...
To me, Joanna's designs look exactly alike in every. single. house. that she does. Every one has a giant clock, painted white, white subway tile, and just looks the same from house to house. It's like she designs all the homes to *her* tastes and not to the individual homeowners. I remember one episode where the couple said they didn't like white and to please use some other colors and not to use subway tile because they didn't like it - to which Chip said something along the lines of "you do know who you're talking to, right?"... Guess what they got? White everything and subway tile, along with the requisite giant clock. I know I may make a lot of people mad, but I seriously do not get why they're so popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 06:33 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,583,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
In my life I have had olive green, dusty pink, mustard, cream, white and "stainless steel". The stainless steel is by far the easiest to clean and looks the best between cleanings. Part of that is because new appliances have less dead space to collect junk. But part of it is that it shows less dirt and is very easy to clean.

I know its a stupid fad that will die out soon. But I swear, the newer stainless steel appliances are more modern and easier to use and clean.

But I do wonder, what will the next fad be?
appliences that have the same wood panelling as the cabinetry and marble-quartz counter tops.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
The one thing that always bothered me with Fixer Upper is that their budget will be 200K and they will end up buying a 30K shack and renovate it with the remaining 170K. What they don't show you is the neighborhood this house is in. It was 30K initially for a reason. Every now and then you can catch a glimpse of the neighborhood and you will see many other shacks just like it up and down the street, or it will be across from a ghetto looking hotel/apartment building. So, now you have this nice house, but you have the view of New Orleans after Katrina.
That is what I noticed about Waco in general - it looks kind of run down throughout most of the city - at least the parts we were in. Hubby wanted to see the silos and whatnot from the Fixer Upper show so we went camping at Lake Waco last summer. We drove all around that place looking for a half-way decent restaurant (didn't find any - all the restaurants we had looked up beforehand were permanently closed) and were really surprised at how run-down the whole city looked. Even the immediate area around their shop and the silos isn't that great once you get a couple of blocks away (they're in downtown Waco).

Old 06-18-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
People bashing on Chip Gains should move to the south. Down in the south his name is like calling someone "Junior". And his "antics" are not uncommon for any guy, no matter the age. Its a Texas thing. Also a Texas thing...his wife being annoyed he acts like a 14 year old.

Its pretty spot on for their local.
Maybe it is for Waco, but I live in Houston, and NOBODY I know acts like Chip with the "antics." NOBODY. Neither did the folks I knew when I lived just south of the Alabama state line in Florida. It's not a southern thing or even a Texas thing - I think it's just a "Chip" thing.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:20 PM

732 posts, read 1,047,068 times
Everybody on these shows cringes from the neighbors: "Oh my god, I can practically see people in that backyard a mile down the road. We'll have to put up a humongous stand of pine trees to block their view."

Yet, they all have to have a huge open concept with massive kitchen and living room because they love to entertain. I guess no neighbors need come.

The last shot for all these shows has a gaggle of people huddled around the ubiquitous 50 inch screen hollering at some dumb football game. No neighbors of course.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:22 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,551,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
I thought I was the only one on the planet who can't stand Chip Gaines! Glad to know there are two of us.

To me, Joanna's designs look exactly alike in every. single. house. that she does. Every one has a giant clock, painted white, white subway tile, and just looks the same from house to house. It's like she designs all the homes to *her* tastes and not to the individual homeowners. I remember one episode where the couple said they didn't like white and to please use some other colors and not to use subway tile because they didn't like it - to which Chip said something along the lines of "you do know who you're talking to, right?"... Guess what they got? White everything and subway tile, along with the requisite giant clock. I know I may make a lot of people mad, but I seriously do not get why they're so popular.
You can make that three. I stopped watching the show a long time ago because of him and her designs are always the same.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:39 PM

17,349 posts, read 11,309,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
You can make that three. I stopped watching the show a long time ago because of him and her designs are always the same.
I think she's been in a creative slump for a while, LOL. I lost all faith in her when she tore out gorgeous old tall windows in a beautiful original sun room in order to create an office. That was all I needed to see. I was done with her.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:51 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,562,680 times
I love the house hunting in Alaska shows. They show a 1 bedroom off the grid home with an out house 25 feet from the house to enjoy the walk in the winter. And you have to have your water delivered. Asking price of $225,000

Old 06-18-2018, 08:55 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,307,475 times
"Though I sorta resemble my brother, I'm the better looking. I always wear plaid and he always wears a tie. He thinks he's smarter, but I'm a lot stronger."

Old 06-18-2018, 09:02 PM

17,349 posts, read 11,309,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I love the house hunting in Alaska shows. They show a 1 bedroom off the grid home with an out house 25 feet from the house to enjoy the walk in the winter. And you have to have your water delivered. Asking price of $225,000
I love watching that too because it seems so absurd to me. I still can't figure out how the heck you take off your pants to go potty when it's -20 degrees out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House