Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 10:49 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,458,386 times

Advertisements

We have a project that is about halfway done and are not satisfied with what is happening. Its taken us months to get permitting and we are sick about starting over and losing all that time (and money, we have paid a third in deposit which is in the 5 figures.) If we fire the contractor/company now, we have absolute chaos with unfinished work-- a pit/pile of dirt and concrete. It might take ages to get someone else to do it and go back through permitting.

I have a contractor who is working on one of my rental properties in another state who I convinced to take a look and suggested we just let this crew finish because it will cost us triple to get someone else in and do it the way we want at this point in the work. We are thinking about asking that some of the items in the scope that are too far along to stop be completed, and that the rest of the space be returned to normal, that we pay what we might owe for that and revisit with a different contractor later. I hate this so much now that I am ready to just sell the house rather than be annoyed every time I look at it.

My mate has been dealing with the contractors as I can't be civil at this point. The plans they gave us and agreements they made were misleading and lots of little things we wanted have been changed on the fly for nothing more than some design aesthetic we don't like. I just want my property back to the way it was and my money back.

So should we fire them now with the project completely undone?
Let them complete what is too far gone and return what they can to normal?
Let them finish and suck it up, with an eye toward putting the house for sale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 10:56 AM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Selling the house will cost you over 7% of the gross sale price so I am not sure that is a wise course.

I would brow beat the contractor to finish. "Cost us triple" is not a phrase you want to hear.
I would not pay one more dollar until the project is "complete".

I believe the permits go with the property and not the contractor. But, IANAL.

You could consider hiring a general contractor to mange the current one. It will cost you money, but reduce aggravation.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Selling the house will cost you over 7% of the gross sale price so I am not sure that is a wise course.

I would brow beat the contractor to finish. "Cost us triple" is not a phrase you want to hear.
I would not pay one more dollar until the project is "complete".

I believe the permits go with the property and not the contractor. But, IANAL.

You could consider hiring a general contractor to mange the current one. It will cost you money, but reduce aggravation.
Our house has appreciated considerably so we would at least make a bit if we sold. We had planned on holding on another 5 years though.

We live in a historic district so there are some permits we would need to be re approved.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:45 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
I only hear one side of this story- I hear a lot of whining.

Do you have a contract?
Do you have FINAL plans that were reviewed, AND approved, AND signed-off?
Are these the same plans that were submitted to the AHJ for approval and permitting?

Hopefully, you see where this is going- if they are following "those" plans what's the problem?
Have there been any actual inspections yet? Did they pass- based on local accepted code practices and plans?

What was the expectation that was presented to you? Has that expectation been met? And if not, how has it not been meet?

Old 07-07-2018, 04:49 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
Just get someone to manage the job from here on out.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
I only hear one side of this story- I hear a lot of whining.

Do you have a contract?
Do you have FINAL plans that were reviewed, AND approved, AND signed-off?
Are these the same plans that were submitted to the AHJ for approval and permitting?

Hopefully, you see where this is going- if they are following "those" plans what's the problem?
Have there been any actual inspections yet? Did they pass- based on local accepted code practices and plans?

What was the expectation that was presented to you? Has that expectation been met? And if not, how has it not been meet?
Of course we have plans. They are not following what was explained in the plans due to all kinds of excuses. The plans are also very unclear on certain details.

There have not been inspections yet. They are not meeting expectations. We are having issues with shoddy workmanship, measurements being off, sloppy concrete work and masonry.

This is not whining. This is my house being ruined.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:03 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Of course we have plans. They are not following what was explained in the plans due to all kinds of excuses. The plans are also very unclear on certain details.

There have not been inspections yet. They are not meeting expectations. We are having issues with shoddy workmanship, measurements being off, sloppy concrete work and masonry.

This is not whining. This is my house being ruined.

You still didn't answer the most important question-

"Do You Have a Contract?"

The rest of that response didn't really make any sense- Plans are made for a reason, everybody understands what they convey and how to implement the plans design. By your statement- the plans are not concise, are not understood, and clearly are not being followed. Who's at fault?

Old 07-07-2018, 09:11 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
The plans are also very unclear on certain details.
Problem.
Your fault for not being specific.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Problem.
Your fault for not being specific.
We were VERY specific and certain details have been changed, altered or not explained. We were away from home one day to come back to a huge concrete mess. We met with the "project manager" the next day and were told he wasn't even sure why this happened when it did. They provided a schedule and this was not scheduled. And of course we have a contract.

I am not going to go into the myriad of details about why this has gone off the rails to be picked apart or blamed. We are firing them. We just need to know when to do it. If someone could answer that question it might actually be helpful.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:26 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
Find your new contractor. Ask him how he would handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House