Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 05:06 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times

Advertisements

My parents have a 1988 Microwave. Still working great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 05:15 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
I think it's the oven. I bought this house from my late aunt last year so I'm not positive but it's either that or the dishwasher. They both work so I'm waiting to replace them. I replaced the fridge & microwave with stainless when I moved in as the m/w was broken and there was no fridge as my mother took it to her house when my aunt died not knowing I was going to buy this place.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:21 AM

224 posts, read 377,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
1952 Chambers Model C stove, original to the house that was built in 1952. And, a 1952 Mission wall space heater in the bathroom.
I love Chambers stoves! Ours is an early 1930's model - the kind that sits up on legs. We got it from the original owner's family in 2002 and it was our everyday stove for most of the time since. Now it is at our old farmhouse in the country (my fixup project) and still works great. But where we live in town, we have a "new" GE electric range circa 1963.

The biggest problem we have had with the Chambers is that it is almost too heavy to move. I think the oven is lined with concrete to hold in the heat. Otherwise, no complaints.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:28 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
This is the reason that drives a lot of consumer buying... having to latest and greatest or what is in fashion at the moment...
Or to simply get something more efficient?

Depending on what load size you select, it uses anywhere from 40-52 gallons of water. I bet it's our biggest water usage in the home. It's actual capacity is rather small compared to modern washers. I could buy a new washer with almost twice the capacity and only use 15 gallons of water to wash it.

Of course, it would probably break in 6 months.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:44 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Or to simply get something more efficient?

Depending on what load size you select, it uses anywhere from 40-52 gallons of water. I bet it's our biggest water usage in the home. It's actual capacity is rather small compared to modern washers. I could buy a new washer with almost twice the capacity and only use 15 gallons of water to wash it.

Of course, it would probably break in 6 months.
I use the water level to match the load and rarely use second rinse option...

About 15 years ago I hosted a group from Germany and they are in the land of front loaders and were enamored with my extra large capacity top loader washing machine... said how nice it is not to have to stoop and easier over all ergonomically...

Growing up my Grandmother had a Philco Front Loader... the higher speed spin would put wrinkles in some fabrics... she always liked Mom's top loader Kenmore... the same Avocado machine she is still using 48 years later.

The downside is consumer choice for the application often goes away... one of the best selling in demand washers is the basic Speed Queen top loader and high rated too... ironic that this was the norm for decades and now has to be sought out...

Super water Efficiency can really help if on marginale septic...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-07-2018 at 11:05 AM..

Old 08-07-2018, 10:51 AM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times
In 1970 while in the military and in SEA I married an Asian lady. We came back to the US that same year and ended up in LA. The first thing she wanted to buy was a rice cooker. We went to China Town and bought a National brand rice cooker. It’s been used at least once a week for all those years with no problems. I’m beginning to think it’s indestructible.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:37 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Super water Efficiency can really help if on marginale septic...
On town sewer, which has high fees in itself.

Even consolidating, with a house full of young boys who play in mud and whatever else seems especially dirty, I estimate we still use about 120 gallons a week for 3 loads of laundry. I could probably tackle that in 2 loads with a modern, larger toploader using 30 gallons of water. That's a difference of 90 gallons per week, or 4680 gallons of water a year. I need to break out my last water/sewer bill to see what that would translate to in $$$.

Don't get me wrong, it's a solid, robust machine that is built like a tank, but if the ROI shows I can pay for the new washer in 9 months and then start saving money....then I might have to push it into a corner and get a new machine.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:54 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
You have made an informed decision based on your situation... nothing wrong with that.

Too many I see simply give little thought and pull out the credit card.

A little off topic... the elderly widow in the neighborhood lost her husband a few years back... when he retired... he bought a Cadillac.. a car he always wanted and bought it as a retirement present to himself.

When the car was 14 years old with 31,000 miles... his widow drove it about once a week shopping and doctor appointments... about 2,000 miles each of the last couple of years... her Grand Daughter talked Grandma to get rid of it... you really need to get rid of that big car...

Car was show room new... maybe a little dusty but not a scratch.

Anyway... they go to the Toyota Dealer... trade in the Caddy for a new Prius...

I believe the dealer allowed $800 for the Caddy on a $30,000 Prius... this way Grandma can save gas and be Green...

How in the He!! is grandma saving money or being Green... but, 22 year old Grand daughter was really happy with herself... getting rid of the old tank... which Grandma liked.

You guessed it... Grandma hates the new car... says it looks like a space ship inside... not comfortable operating it and doesn't like have to Plug it In... drives even less... but now has expensive license fees and full coverage insurance... the sales tax was 3k alone.

This is why I am driven by need rather than the flavor of the month...

Old 08-07-2018, 12:35 PM

723 posts, read 571,317 times
I have a Hamilton Beach (or is it Rival?) 6-qt. crockpot that I received as a gift when I graduated from HS in 1979. It has the original HEAVY stoneware crock, a HEAVY glass lid, and avocado-green herbs painted all around the sides.

You can't buy anything like it anymore, and I hope I never have to. :-)

Last edited by OHNot4Me; 08-07-2018 at 01:35 PM..

Old 08-07-2018, 12:59 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
I love the big old gas stoves from the early 1950s, and part of me would love to own one. But I do like having a self cleaning oven! Even if I owned one of those amazing old stoves, I’d still want one portable induction burner for boiling water fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House