Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2018, 12:25 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,532,036 times

Advertisements

I had an apt with an AC wall unit, and the cost was not much. The radiant heating costed much more.

If you have an apt with AC built in (vents in the walls or ceilings) does it cost more (per month) than a wall AC unit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 12:35 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
My 800 SF, 1BR condo had built-in A/C. I used to keep it cranked to 68 degrees all summer and it only bumped my electric bill up $20. Well worth it to stay cool

Old 08-07-2018, 01:31 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
It depends on the efficiency of the system. I have a very efficient DC inverter mini-split system cooling my house. I use less than 1/4 the electricity of the window units I had the first year I owned the house.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:55 PM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Depends on alot of things. I lived in a duplex that had central air.. This was an old duplex that was brick exterior with landscaping that kept it in the shade much of the time.. I don't think I ever had a power bill over $100.. And this is SC, where it gets horribly hot and muggy.

Now, I have a 1700 sq ft house, sits in the sun all day.. I wind up with power bills approaching $200 a month.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:18 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
I think the question here is do window A/C units cost more to run than a central unit in an apartment. Yes, most window units use more electricity, including the high energy index units, than a 14 SEER central unit.

A few years back I built a 2400sq ft house for a guy that owns an appliance outlet. We didn't put any HVAC in the house. WE did put numerous 220V outlets in specific rooms. His utility bill is far cheaper according to him than if he used a central unit. He runs only the units where they are at in the house and leaves the others off. After the sun goes down and things start to cool off, he cranks up the bedroom units to get the bedrooms cool and when they go to bed, turns the others off. Works for him but it seems to be a lot of work for little return. Another plus he quotes is that when the window units die or become a problem, they are dirt cheap to replace than central unit. You also hardly ever lose complete HVAC like a single central unit going down with multiple window units.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:44 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It depends on the efficiency of the system. I have a very efficient DC inverter mini-split system cooling my house. I use less than 1/4 the electricity of the window units I had the first year I owned the house.
These are the most efficient units on the market. If you ever have a situation where you need to cool a single room, especially if it's not ducted, there's no more perfect solution. In our house, we have 3 floors but the cheap builders (aside from putting in a water heater that wouldn't fill HALF of the bath tub) decided the daylight basement, so really just the bottom floor, didn't need central heat or AC. I'll be the judge of that, thanks. So I put in a ductless mini-split from Mitsubishi with a SEER rating around 31, which is ridiculous. I have been incredibly impressed by how well it works, and how quickly, too. It just didn't seem like it would work that well, and when I first heard about it, I was looking at it like really? I want this thing on my wall? Looks kind of ugly... but then when I realized what a fantastic solution it was, how inexpensive the system is to run, and how well it worked, I was sold. Plus, there was no other good option, we couldn't really duct an entire 800 square foot basement that wasn't already ducted.

My system that powers the upper 2 floors is a top-rated variable speed Trane that adjusts by increments of 1%, so it's as efficient as a system like that one can get and it's still only about 25 SEER, still an amazing rating, but nothing like the ductless.

The energy efficiency of these units makes an enormous difference. We also run AC probably I'm guessing 5-6 months of the year? I can't say I honestly know as it's 2018, so when you set an HVAC system to 72 during the day and 66 at night, it'll do whatever it does to make sure that happens. All I do know for sure is that before I installed the system, the obviously-no-standards previous home owners didn't have ANY AC in the house. I assume they previously lived in the middle of the desert in a tent or something, because this house is built very energy efficient, so by mid-April when it was only about 70 degrees outside it was already upper 70s inside. By the time I got my quote back and installation was nearly ready, it was more like mid-May and it was hitting 80 degrees in the house despite only being 76 or 77 outside. How they could have tolerated a summer without AC is news to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House