Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2018, 11:47 AM

10 posts, read 27,591 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I get very stuffy at night. We move the fan into the on position so it's running as the air conditioning comes off and on. The last 2 days I've noticed a strange noise...

Seems to be a squeaking happening. I'm hearing it at night (but that may very well be because it's quiet, tv is off, noticing it more, etc). As far as I can tell, it's when the fan is running for a while after the air conditioner switches off. Any ideas what this could be and how worried I should be? It's not constant but I've heard it a handful of times each of the last 3 nights. Hearing it inside the house. Doesn't seem to be with the outside unit. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 12:44 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default Might be simple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalia99 View Post
My girlfriend and I get very stuffy at night. We move the fan into the on position so it's running as the air conditioning comes off and on. The last 2 days I've noticed a strange noise...

Seems to be a squeaking happening. I'm hearing it at night (but that may very well be because it's quiet, tv is off, noticing it more, etc). As far as I can tell, it's when the fan is running for a while after the air conditioner switches off. Any ideas what this could be and how worried I should be? It's not constant but I've heard it a handful of times each of the last 3 nights. Hearing it inside the house. Doesn't seem to be with the outside unit. Thanks!

The way that the ductwork tends to amplify / focus any sounds coming from the central HVAC unit's fan the most likely explanation is that the "squeak" is currently a minor problem. Odds are that when the compressor is on the extra noise it provides is masking the sound OR causing the fan to run at a different speed where the squeak is not happening.

The squeak might be a slipping belt, misaligned pulley, lubricated surface or early signs of a failing bearing. The first three are very cheap to fix, even in areas with high base rate for HVAC service call this might be about a cheap charge as they do. Even if it bearing going bad this is still potentially something that might be pretty inexpensive, some units have field replacement kits that are cheap. Of course you would need to have a trust worthy technician that can spell out what the total cost of such replacement, including labor, will be and compare that to the total cost (and potential trade-off for reliability) compared to replacing motor or whole blower assembly...

First question: DO you have a trust worthy HVAC technician? Do not use a firm that is trying to drum up business with 'discount coupons' or "free inspection" offers online or with other advertising. Rely instead on family, neighbors, co-workers that have have good experiences with technicians that ethically explain what they've found to be the problem for similar service calls and done the work for a fair price.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:14 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,577,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The way that the ductwork tends to amplify / focus any sounds coming from the central HVAC unit's fan the most likely explanation is that the "squeak" is currently a minor problem. Odds are that when the compressor is on the extra noise it provides is masking the sound OR causing the fan to run at a different speed where the squeak is not happening.

The squeak might be a slipping belt, misaligned pulley, lubricated surface or early signs of a failing bearing. The first three are very cheap to fix, even in areas with high base rate for HVAC service call this might be about a cheap charge as they do. Even if it bearing going bad this is still potentially something that might be pretty inexpensive, some units have field replacement kits that are cheap. Of course you would need to have a trust worthy technician that can spell out what the total cost of such replacement, including labor, will be and compare that to the total cost (and potential trade-off for reliability) compared to replacing motor or whole blower assembly...

First question: DO you have a trust worthy HVAC technician? Do not use a firm that is trying to drum up business with 'discount coupons' or "free inspection" offers online or with other advertising. Rely instead on family, neighbors, co-workers that have have good experiences with technicians that ethically explain what they've found to be the problem for similar service calls and done the work for a fair price.
Could also be a loose duct. I chased one of these gremlins down in one of my rentals. The installer had not used mastic, only tape to seal a ducting joint and that tape dried up in the 130 degree attic.when the fan kicked on, it caused a minor wobble that created the squeak as the ducting joint rubbed together.

7 pounds of lost water weight later, some mastic and a tin strap solved it.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:56 AM

20 posts, read 13,616 times
It happens when the motor has come loose and is moving inside the sealed compressor or caused by a defective thermostat. Call the HVAC expert to fix squealing issue.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:27 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Take the cover off of the air handler and spin the fan by hand. See if it spins freely or makes any noise.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:18 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesalex View Post
It happens when the motor has come loose and is moving inside the sealed compressor or caused by a defective thermostat. Call the HVAC expert to fix squealing issue.

First- motor and compressor are one in the same. Motor shaft is crankshaft, and attached to that is a connecting rod and piston.

A thermostat doesn't cause squeaks. It's a temperature controlled electrical switch.

The OP specifically stated that (s)he was sure that the condenser unit was NOT the source of the noise. Perhaps something other than HVACR would be of interest to you(?)

OP- by your description I'd say you probably have a problem with the blower motor- but I've also had instances like that that were not "mechanical" in nature but were other issues with either the airhandler itself, the ductwork, or registers. Isolating the noise as to location and origin usually requires a keen ear that comes with years of experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House