Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 07:50 PM

32,035 posts, read 27,255,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Cat.

Nope, not always.

Mice and rats long have realized cats are predators and will soon learn to avoid if possible.

A cat may deal with a few mice in a household (provided he/she is a mouser), and that those numbers aren't huge. But where there is a large and or frequent infestation one cat just isn't going to make a difference.

When mice or rats smell a cat they know to avoid if possible. They will also go into overdrive in terms of breeding as nature prepares to deal with any decrease in numbers by predation.

It is important to remember cats only really hunt mice or rats either when hungry, or perhaps out of sense of "play". Thus they aren't truly effective means for dealing with rodents that you certainly want gone.

Professional rat catchers of old used terrier dogs and ferrets to do their job.

Posted this before in another thread about rodents and predators (owls, cats, etc...)

Years ago a study was done on a barn (or something) infested with rats. An owl (or maybe a cat) was used to control the rodent population. Indeed after a period sightings of rodents went down; but after awhile the floor boards were removed and plenty of rats were found.

When it comes to mice and rats indoors (and often out) leaving aside the occasional one off; when you see one there are likely more, many more in the area.

Stronger and dominate rodents force out young/weaker from nesting areas. So when a population grows too large "excess" is pushed out in order for the stronger to keep the food and other supplies for themselves.

The other thing is if you see "one" mouse or rat, you'd better get it soon and hope it's not a pregnant female. Just two rodents (mice or rats) setting up housekeeping can breed vast numbers in a relatively short period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 09:45 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,757,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Cat.
Cat owners can tell of many fine furry gifts left in unexpected places. The OP does not even want to see a dead mouse, let alone pick up and discard such thoughtful presents.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:38 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,646,761 times
The Havahart trap is the best; it's effective and humane. I've use this with great success and it works very rapidly. Glue traps are disgusting. All people who use them should be prosecuted for cruelty to animals.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:05 AM

8,815 posts, read 5,131,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The Havahart trap is the best; it's effective and humane. I've use this with great success and it works very rapidly. Glue traps are disgusting. All people who use them should be prosecuted for cruelty to animals.
So do you catch them live? Then what do you do with them?

Old 08-16-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
It catches them alive and unhurt. I take them outside to release them.

Two mice came in when I was having a storm door installed. I saw them afterwards. They were both sitting on my desk looking at me. I gave them a piece of carrot, but I realized I couldn't let them stay in the house so I bought the live trap at my local Ace Hardware. It only took a minute for them to walk in.

Mice aren't evil. They only do what is natural to survive.

Amazon also sell these traps.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:03 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,627,303 times
Quote:
Quote:

Two mice came in when I was having a storm door installed. I saw them afterwards. They were both sitting on my desk looking at me. I gave them a piece of carrot, but I realized I couldn't let them stay in the house so I bought the live trap at my local Ace Hardware. It only took a minute for them to walk in.

My first thought was that some California liberal hacked your account. After all, your tag line suggests that you wouldn't hesitate to use a firearm to save a life. I use glue traps because they work, period. Snap traps and enclosed traps have each trapped one mouse. My glue traps have caught about a dozen. It's that simple. They're legal and I'll continue to use glue traps until something more effective comes along. And catching them alive and setting them free isn't an option. They'll just come right back in. I want them dead and gone. I can't believe how upset some people get about dealing with a rodent nuisance in the most effective way.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
My first thought was that some California liberal hacked your account. After all, your tag line suggests that you wouldn't hesitate to use a firearm to save a life. I use glue traps because they work, period. Snap traps and enclosed traps have each trapped one mouse. My glue traps have caught about a dozen. It's that simple. They're legal and I'll continue to use glue traps until something more effective comes along. And catching them alive and setting them free isn't an option. They'll just come right back in. I want them dead and gone. I can't believe how upset some people get about dealing with a rodent nuisance in the most effective way.
I carry a gun; I'd use it if necessary. However, I would not purposely cause suffering to any animal. The human is the only species capable of evil.

You've seen too many fake news descriptions of gun owners.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:24 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,627,303 times
Quote:
I carry a gun; I'd use it if necessary. However, I would not purposely cause suffering to any animal. The human is the only species capable of evil.

You've seen too many fake news descriptions of gun owners.

I don't believe those fake news accounts. I also carry. All the time. And I used my carry weapon to defend myself when two thugs were breaking into my motel room one morning. Seeing it pointed at them was enough to convince them they were breaking into the wrong room. They fled immediately. But my need to eradicate invasive rodents overrides my concern for whatever they go through after encountering my glue traps, which are the only ones that consistently catch mice. As I've stated before, I use what works.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:26 PM

32,733 posts, read 48,366,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Takes them out to the country and releases them to invade a farmer's home or to get into his barn to foul the feed that his livestock needs.

Such fun to open a bin of grain for the horses, only to find it fouled with mouse droppings and urine.

At the farm, the adorable little mouse is killed by an owl or cat or eats the very strong rat poison that the farmer has to put out to control the mice turned loose on his place by those humane, animal loving, city folks.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:03 PM

8,815 posts, read 5,131,170 times
Quote:

Wondering where do you release the mice you catch. Are you just passing the problem to someone else. Mice can do a lot of damage to your home. They multiply, chew on wires, in the walls, and all sorts of things. Why don`t you just feed them all, and keep them in YOUR home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House