Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 04:11 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times

Advertisements

We have a natural gas dryer not cooling near as fast as it use to. Its warm as it normally is so has natural gas. The only thing I can imagine it is not enough air flow. Is this a common problem? What is the likely cause? if it has a filter for the air I have no changed o cleaned it in the 4 years or so I have owned this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 04:28 AM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times
You didn't clean the filter in 4 years????? Do you know how to clean the lint filter?
Is the vent hose clogged with lint or has any kinks?
Do you use fabric softener?
Is the drum or/and door sealed properly?
Does your dryer make any noises?

Old 08-26-2018, 04:52 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
I'm assuming you have cleaned the lint trap for the air exhaust? Check the manual if there is filter on the air intake or any other common maintenance.

**Very Important** You need to check the entire length of air exhaust from the dryer to where it exits the house. Lint can build up in that especially if you have one those accordion hoses. It will eventually block it and this a huge fire hazard because that lint build up is highly flammable.

Old 08-26-2018, 05:28 AM

Thanks, my wife cleans the lint filter and it is clean now. I will check the air exhaust next. Thanks

Old 08-26-2018, 08:26 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,915,651 times
You never know, there could be a nest in those accordion hoses. We had one in a house when we moved into it. Where it exits is important too. In another house we had to be careful mulch didn't get spread up to the vent since the vent exited lower than usual.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:55 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,631,320 times
We once found a dead bird in our dryer vent hose. Happened when the magnetic flap on the vent cover got stuck open.

Old 08-26-2018, 12:24 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,932,190 times
You should be cleaning the entire exhaust pipe system every year. That's where the flex pipe joins to the wall. There is piping in the wall. It may lead to an outside wall or go to the roof. The lint filter does not capture all of the lint. As this damp lint gets by the screen filter, it will cling to the piping in the wall. The build up is a known fire hazard. I cleaned mine just 2 weeks ago and got an office trash can full of junk out of the piping. That's just one years worth of buildup. If you don't know how to clean it, most HVAC guys can do it for you for a fee. Beats having the house burn to the ground.

Old 08-26-2018, 01:25 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
We have a natural gas dryer not cooling near as fast as it use to. Its warm as it normally is so has natural gas. The only thing I can imagine it is not enough air flow. Is this a common problem? What is the likely cause? if it has a filter for the air I have no changed o cleaned it in the 4 years or so I have owned this one.

If you never cleaned the lint trap start there. Then check the exhaust hose it’s probsvly full.
And seriously take off the back of the unit access panel and look inside. We had a issue where my wife said the dryer wasn’t drying. I had a blocked line and all the lint was inside the unit. It took a big trash bag to get it all out.
The builder put the exhaust tube underground. It was about 20 feet. Had to put a steel fish tape in and tie a towel around it. Then pulled and got all the lint and crap out.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:23 AM

Thanks I will open it up today to take a look. I am not clear how to clean out the exterior exhaust system and am inclined to call a repair man in case any of the parts need replacing that can impact air flow and tumbling, Will a say Sears appliance repair man come with the parts to replace it or will this require a second trip to my house most likely?

Old 08-27-2018, 06:19 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
On the back of the dryer is going to be air outlet about 4 inches in diameter, typically the bottom center. Consult the manual. There is likely a flexible accordion style hose connected to it but it could be solid vent pipe. Once you have determined in the manual it's the correct hose/pipe you can usually just remove the hose clamp and take it off. There may be an outlet on the wall the hose is clamped to, you can remove that clamp too completely removing the accordion style hose. There is no way to describe this specifically because each installation is going to be little bit different.

That pipe/hose on the wall is going to lead to an outside vent somewhere. If it's not on the side of your house it might be on the roof. You need to check and remove any lint the entire length of it. You are also going to want to look up that pipe on the dryer and remove any lint inside the dryer. You can use a small mirror if you can't see it, even inside the exhaust pipes. A shop vac with a small diameter hose can be quite useful for this task.

Depending on where it vents it can be easy or difficult task. The outlet on the wall for example might just go right outside which makes this very simple. If it leads to the roof or somewhere else it can be PITA.

If you consult the manual there will directions on what you need to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House