Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 01:41 PM

48 posts, read 31,052 times

Advertisements

As subject states, do you think that closing vents and doors of unused rooms saves $$ on bills in regards to heating and air conditioning ? Apparently not everyone feels the same way I do about it.

For example. 1200 square foot home, 3 bedroom, 1 bath. If you close the door and vents of one or more bedrooms, will less energy be required to heat/cool the rest of the house ?

Some people close doors and vents to bedrooms/office rooms that arent used around the clock. Some people live their entire life with all doors open, even if they dont use that room very frequently.

Where do you fit in the this situation ?
All doors open, or close some doors..
Northern state/location that see a lot of cold, or southern location that is mostly warm/hot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 02:09 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingToRetire View Post
As subject states, do you think that closing vents and doors of unused rooms saves $$ on bills in regards to heating and air conditioning ? Apparently not everyone feels the same way I do about it.

For example. 1200 square foot home, 3 bedroom, 1 bath. If you close the door and vents of one or more bedrooms, will less energy be required to heat/cool the rest of the house ?

Some people close doors and vents to bedrooms/office rooms that arent used around the clock. Some people live their entire life with all doors open, even if they dont use that room very frequently.

Northern state/location that see a lot of cold, or southern location that is mostly warm/hot?
I believe the answer is no, you will not reduce costs and it’s primaarily based on the original design of the system, the cfm’s the size of the house. With closed doors, warm air will still move to cooler areas and with closed doors the return air flow back to the unit will be restricted/reduced and air will find its way under doors or openings to trying to balance both flow and temperature. I’m sure an HVAC Tech could provide a better explanation, however I have heard this several times in the past.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:03 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
Your HVAC unit is still putting out the same air whether the doors are open or closed. If there's enough undercut or some other path for return air, it makes no difference at all. If not, the unit can get restricted and have to work harder. So no, you're not saving money by closing doors.

Closing vents increases the pressure in the supply ductwork. One or 2 vents may not be a big deal. If you close too many, eventually air leaks will develop or the unit might malfunction. So no, you're not saving money by closing vents.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:34 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
I have a similar question.
I have thermal heat based on water heated in a boiler that flows through valves and pipes in the slab floor. I have four zones in the house with four thermostats but I essentially only have two zones operating full time with a third operating some days. It would seem that closing off zones would have no bearing on cost since the boiler has to heat the mass of the water anyway. I might as well run all four zones if I'm going to run one.
Am I correct?

Old 01-23-2019, 04:36 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
As subject states, do you think that closing vents and doors of unused rooms saves $$ on bills in regards to heating and air conditioning ?

The answer is maybe. Those systems are designed to accommodate X amount of air flow, as you reduce the air flow the efficiency of the system is reduced and it could potentially damage or reduce the lifespan of the system if you close off too many of them. Closing one or two off may not be an issue, don't go closing a lot of then off.

Ideally for single zone system you would have vents in the room you want to heat to open up when closing off the others but they need to be on main trunk or somewhere where they could actually increase the air flow into those rooms. .

Quote:
If the room is heated it will typically have a return vent thus if the heat vent is open you aren't really accomplishing anything because the heat flow is not interrupted. Closing the heat vent and not being able to close the return vent would cause air to move into the room from somewhere else. The easiest path which may be crack around the window

Last edited by thecoalman; 01-23-2019 at 04:46 PM..

Old 01-23-2019, 07:50 PM

48 posts, read 31,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Your HVAC unit is still putting out the same air whether the doors are open or closed. If there's enough undercut or some other path for return air, it makes no difference at all. If not, the unit can get restricted and have to work harder. So no, you're not saving money by closing doors.

Closing vents increases the pressure in the supply ductwork. One or 2 vents may not be a big deal. If you close too many, eventually air leaks will develop or the unit might malfunction. So no, you're not saving money by closing vents.
Then why is there a lever to close vents in the first place ? If it creates ineffiencencies and problems, why do the vents have levers to close them off ?

Old 01-23-2019, 07:54 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
The cheapest thing to do is just use space heaters for different rooms.

But, yes, I found that my heating/cooling bills were cheaper when I had central heat/air, when I closed off rooms I wasn't using.

I much prefer to heat and cool rooms separately, though.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:11 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Quote:
Then why is there a lever to close vents in the first place ? If it creates ineffiencencies and problems, why do the vents have levers to close them off ?
The vents are not on or off only, they are variable. At in every house and apartment I have lived with forced air HVAC.

So you can use the levers to balance the system throughout the house, to keep temperatures consistent throughout the house.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:22 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:

Unless you can explain how it is possible to save money by restricting airflow, I am not convinced.

Vents aren’t like a faucet, where you save money by restricting flow.

You’re making your HVAC take longer to get the house up to temperature, so it runs longer.

Open your interior doors and open your vents. We should not be arguing about this in 2019. It’s science.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:30 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
The question has been asked, answered, cussed, and discussed a thousand times in the past-

Use the "search this forum" box!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House