Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 11:43 AM

336 posts, read 592,640 times

Advertisements

We are moving into a bigger house next week. The basement is fully finished but we have no plan to use it except for storage. There will also be two guest bedrooms upstairs. I am getting conflicting information on whether closing HVAC vents in unused rooms is a good idea. Doing so may conserve energy but the HVAC system could be at risk for overloading. Is the risk for real? The house is newly built with two HVAC system (gas for 1st floor and basement and heat pump for second floor).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 12:03 PM

34,117 posts, read 83,097,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panu16 View Post
getting conflicting information on whether closing HVAC vents in unused rooms is a good idea.
It's not. Avoid doing it ... even if your house is too big for you.
Especially not on the same level(s) where you actually live.

In YOUR case... closing off the basement supply & return... maybe.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:52 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,296,351 times
If we're talking about shutting half of your registers off completely you may put too much restriction on the blower motor, less that that and you're probably fine as far as that goes.

That being said, not heating your basement at all could cause cool air infiltration which would make your furnace work harder to heat the first floor so the idea that shutting the heat to the basement off completely will save you money on your energy bill false. And if you live in a cold climate you certainly don't want to cut off the heat to any plumbing down there.

A better idea would be to throttle the registers down to about half in the basement, that will keep your heating "envelope" intact while pushing most of the heat to your living space.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:21 PM

621 posts, read 1,126,553 times
You'll shorten the lifespan ($$$) of both the furnace and heatpump if you do what you're thinking of. Heating equipment, aside from hot water fan coils, rely on and are designed for specified air volumes to maintain efficiency and avoid problems. Same goes for A/C. Closed grills, undersized ductwork, and restrictive 1'' high efficiency filters all cause the same problems/symptoms.

Also, you could easily void any equipment and/or labor warranty.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:09 PM

8 posts, read 13,823 times
Default close or not to close

Quote:
We are moving into a bigger house next week. The basement is fully finished but we have no plan to use it except for storage. There will also be two guest bedrooms upstairs. I am getting conflicting information on whether closing HVAC vents in unused rooms is a good idea. Doing so may conserve energy but the HVAC system could be at risk for overloading. Is the risk for real? The house is newly built with two HVAC system (gas for 1st floor and basement and heat pump for second floor).
Your not going to save any money by closing any registers, the system was designed to run with all registers open, closing them would only cost you in the long run. OPEN is the best option.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:13 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,410,414 times
Can't speak for gas since my house is all electric.

I have a 5-ton unit which is pretty big. Running it on the hottest days of the year where it's running almost constantly costs about $1 per day.

I'd leave all the vents open.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:23 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,836,905 times
Depending on your location, there are other things to consider. A finished basement that's now going to be left unconditioned could develop mold/mildew issues.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:13 PM

186 posts, read 428,221 times
Quote:
I was doing this with an unused bedroom and the HVAC pro told me to stop...so I agree with those here who advise against it. He said it's ok to close the door but not to block the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House