Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 04:37 PM

93 posts, read 271,394 times

Advertisements

I have just bought a house with a multifuel stove and while I like it, it's frustrating not hearing the crackle of the logs/coal.

I was just wondering about operating a stove with the door open.

I know this cuts the stove's efficiency, since it draws some hot air into the stove and allows drafts (though I assume that more heat is still being generated than lost).

However, I was wondering if this will actually damage the stove or the flue's lining - some sites say it will, others say it won't.

What do you think? Has anyone here successfully done it?

Any guidance would be welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 05:33 PM

17,248 posts, read 57,311,705 times
It depends on how big a fire you build in the stove. If you keep the fire fairly low, you should be OK. Some stoves come with or you can get an accessory "screen door" that you can use to get that open fire effect, without risking sparks being pitched out into the room.

Although, yeah, if you got carried away and built a really roaring fire, you might damage the stove and/or chimney.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:43 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,257,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy upwood View Post
I have just bought a house with a multifuel stove and while I like it, it's frustrating not hearing the crackle of the logs/coal.

I was just wondering about operating a stove with the door open.

I know this cuts the stove's efficiency, since it draws some hot air into the stove and allows drafts (though I assume that more heat is still being generated than lost).

However, I was wondering if this will actually damage the stove or the flue's lining - some sites say it will, others say it won't.

What do you think? Has anyone here successfully done it?

Any guidance would be welcome.

To be honest I don't what would happen if you left the loading door open with coal, this could go either way because coal wants it's air from underneath. May even hinder the burn. What I can tell is if you left the ash pan door open it's going to be wildly out of control in as little as an hour and the only way you're going to slow it down in short time is with something like sand or kitty litter.

This happens a lot because people will often leave them open after loading for 10 minutes or so to get the new coal going quickly. The best advice is use a reminder, something on your wrist, timer etc.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:57 PM

21,017 posts, read 19,533,724 times
Really? This is your first concern...no thought of carbon monoxide.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:00 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,699,637 times
I think this is asking for an uncontrolled kitchen fire.

Maybe you could build yourself one of those outdoor brick ovens to satisfy your flame licked culinary desires.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:25 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,257,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Shouldn't be an issue, matter of fact it's actually going to be the opposite problem. A cold chimney will draft air, a heated chimney will suck even more. With an unlimited amount of air it's going to be like a vacuum cleaner. You're going to find gaskets the doors of many of these stoves, it's not keep flue gases form going into the room. It's to keep the room air from going into the stove without any control.

CO in particular with coal is usually the result of blocked flue.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:44 PM

17,511 posts, read 66,478,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I think this is asking for an uncontrolled kitchen fire.

Maybe you could build yourself one of those outdoor brick ovens to satisfy your flame licked culinary desires.

The OP isn't talking about a Kenmore or a Kitchenaid...

We're talking about a WOOD STOVE! The kind you burn WOOD in for heating your house!

Vey iz mir!

Old 04-18-2015, 09:51 AM

Yes, this is a stove in an living room.

So, just to clarify - it's ok, provided I damp down all the other controls and don't put too much fuel in?

Old 04-18-2015, 10:05 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,346,269 times
In my area people's homes have burned down because they left the woodstove door open - something flew out and caught the flooring on fire.

If you must do this, at least get a fireproof hearth rug, a large fire extinguisher, smoke/CO detectors, and never leave the room with the door open.

Might also double check that the hearth floor in front of the woodstove is as far out and wide as the manufacturer's installation instructions specify. And the distance from walls - stove installed per instructions and to code.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:46 PM

My stove has an efficiency of around 80% if used normally. What would the efficiency be if I operated it with the door open?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House