Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:59 AM

67 posts, read 499,086 times

Advertisements

Well, after burning in my fireplace for years, I got a wood stove and it worked well.....until after awhile, you get some green wood in there and it just causes problems. I always kept it warm in the house using the fireplace. Yeh, I know the heat just goes right up the chimney, but I always had a knack at keeping a good hot fire along with keeping it very warm in the house. The only problem was that I couldn't be there 24 hrs to keep it going! Then the wood stove; didn't mind at all doing the cutting, splitting, stacking of the wood then bringing it upstairs. I enjoyed doing this. It kept me busy (not to mention All the other house projects ). Now I just realized, I'm getting too old for this crap! I just cannot do it anymore. Now oil is just going out of this world......$2.50-$2.70+ a gallon??!! I got two tanks = 500 gallons. You do the math. Three adults and two Rugrats in the house at 68-70 on the thermostat for the winter. After only two months I would be on a quarter of a tank. Then I would have to fill it again. I just cannot afford it.
So, I counted All my pennies and decided to purchase a Pellet Stove. The pellets alone are ranging $250-$280. a ton. After speaking with people, some have used anywhere from a ton and a half to two for the winter season. That is still under $600. to heat your home instead of emptying out your wallet on oil! I'm sorry, but I just cannot afford the price of oil anymore.
So, here I am...a newbie bowing down to the "pellet Gods"!
I still wonder HOW people can afford oil with these prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 11:40 AM

951 posts, read 1,654,422 times
Having had a woodstove all of my life, I hear you about the work!! I have just recently dumped my woodstove. The wife doesn't want it in the house anymore. We just did all the rooms near the stove and there was quite a bit of soot on the walls after 15 years. You almost don't see it until the primer goes on! Since we will be moving next year, we opted to clean up the fireplace area. We have a gas-fired stove in the addition, so it's the place to congregate now.

The pellet stove thing intrigued me a bit back, but the cost of the pellets (I can get wood for free!), and the fact the feeder needs electricity (won't work in a power outage!), it was just a passing fancy. Once I get to NH, I'll go back to the wood. Maybe I'll get lucky and the house we get will have a stove or two!!

Old 10-26-2007, 06:22 PM

Wood here for free too!! That's what kept me going. Ah, the 'ol power outage. I priced the batt. back-up and they are like $300., BUT I already got back-up.....generator!
I got (well, not just yet) a pellet stove, then the fireplace for back-up, and then I got the generator. Now for the snow, I got the snowblower, then for back-up I got the snow thrower, then for back-up I got the plow truck, then for back -up I got the "shovel" .
Well, if the shovel goes, then I guess I'm really f****ed! Unless you got some Capt. Morgan!

Old 10-27-2007, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo42xa View Post
Unless you got some Capt. Morgan!
Aye, savvy that!!

Old 10-30-2007, 09:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
When it snows a couple of feet or more, forget the other stuff and go straight to the Captain.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
When it snows a couple of feet or more, forget the other stuff and go straight to the Captain.
One of the most sensible things you've ever said Greg!! Cheers!!

Old 10-31-2007, 05:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
I saw a deal on wood stoves the other day. a guy was advertising in one of these "back to the woods" magazines. The stoves were only $25 in oak, cherry or maple. The pine stoves were only $10 because they did not last as long.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:15 AM

Oh, your on a roll there buddy. What else have you got? LOL!!

Old 10-31-2007, 10:32 AM

Hmmm, makes me (and I'm sure others) wonder. Once We all get brianwashed into going "Pellet Stoves"...........I wonder how much more the pellets are going to go up?!
(bow's down to the pellet God's )

Who knows, by then some other type of efficient thingy will come out!
All I got to do now is try and keep the Rugrats from leaving the god damn door opened all the time this winter!!!
(Capt., Capt. where are you....................)

Old 10-31-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo42xa View Post
(Capt., Capt. where are you....................)
Here's the new spokes-dog for the Capt.:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb90/bryfry62/PirateDog.jpg (broken link)

Have him fetch you some of that sweet rum!!
Maybe you can train him to fill that stove as well!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire