Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 09:47 AM

4 posts, read 1,314 times

Advertisements

We just moved in. My girlfriends parents say we can burn wood in it but I’d like to make sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 09:55 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
What are we basing our opinion on?

Old 12-11-2018, 10:04 AM

It’s got a gas key so I’m not sure if it’s just a gas starting fireplace fornlogs or just a gas burning fireplace. I’ve never had one before. I’ve seen much deeper ones though and the flu was at a slope with a bigger opening. This one has a flat roof with just a round flu so I can’t imagine smoke drifting up quickly. Only tag I see seems to be for glass doors.

It appears my link for pictures didn’t work. http://imgur.com/a/YoJg9v0

Last edited by Seronami; 12-11-2018 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Adding link pics

Old 12-11-2018, 10:16 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,161 times
There's a few aspects to your question. Basically, you don't want flames around the gas line. But it can be converted if it's set up to do so. There are also chimney issues and so on. Here is something that says it pretty concisely: https://www.hunker.com/13412213/can-...-gas-fireplace

You do need it looked at by a professional.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:22 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
It’s mainly gas use. It’s missing the ceramic logs and either the chain drapes or the glass doors.. You can tell by the type of ceramic and the top of the fireplace is sheet metal. Most fireplaces that were built like that were made to have gas logs.

You really can’t burn wood in that fireplace. Well you can but really shouldn’t. The ceramic isn’t thick enough or the right type to protect from heat produced by a wood burning fireplace. It will crack. Gas fireplaces do not put out the high heat a wood burning fireplace does. Don5 forget to open the flue when you light it up

Last edited by Electrician4you; 12-11-2018 at 10:31 AM..

Old 12-11-2018, 11:04 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
It's a wood burning fireplace (key phrase- "solid wood fuel only") the gas would be for a starter.

But you could change the starter to gaslogs if you wanted. The reverse can't be done on a "gas only" fireplace.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It’s mainly gas use. It’s missing the ceramic logs and either the chain drapes or the glass doors.. You can tell by the type of ceramic and the top of the fireplace is sheet metal. Most fireplaces that were built like that were made to have gas logs.

You really can’t burn wood in that fireplace. Well you can but really shouldn’t. The ceramic isn’t thick enough or the right type to protect from heat produced by a wood burning fireplace. It will crack. Gas fireplaces do not put out the high heat a wood burning fireplace does. Don5 forget to open the flue when you light it up
It actually does have the chain fence and glass doors. Guess I should’ve provided pics with it all closed up as well

Old 12-11-2018, 12:20 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seronami View Post
It actually does have the chain fence and glass doors. Guess I should’ve provided pics with it all closed up as well
I have the same basic build fireplace in my townhouse without the glass doors mine just has the chain link spark arrester curtains. ( it looks identical with the exception of the small metal plate on the bottom back wall on yours and while it states the same thing as your “ Solid wood burning” description on the placard I was told that it’s not a good idea to burn wood in it as the ceramic walls will eventually crack. I used it as a wood burning fireplace and eventually the ceramic did crack. Not fun to replace it. So I went to the ceramic logs and gas flame.
Truthfully unless it’s your only source of heat, it’s much cheaper, cleaner and safer to just turn on the furnace.

On my current home the fireplace is all solid brick so I burn wood sometimes. But it’s still messy and dirty. When we wanna heat up the noise we turn on the furnace. We burn a little wood during our wi term to have a Christmas type of feeling. Otherwise we don’t really use it.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:46 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Regardless, i'd have a professional come in and give that an inspection and their recommendation based on a firsthand account

Old 12-11-2018, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. Lots of good advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House