Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 05:32 PM

625 posts, read 4,569,989 times

Advertisements

I went around my house today spraying for insects and noticed at the base of my brick exterior this piece of wood that is rotted!! I have a crawlspace, block foundation, so I'm not sure what this piece of wood is...at other areas of the house I don't see wood like this...any opinions? Also, the second pic shows just up from where I found this wood-the mulch is high up on the brick-should it not be like this? the land slopes up in that area. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Question about some rotting wood at the base of my house-house-rotting-wood.jpg   Question about some rotting wood at the base of my house-house-dirt-brick.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 06:02 PM

i just thought of something...i just bought this house and remember seeing something about a few years ago the termite company put "test" pieces of wood around the house to detect termite activity...this wood is sortof loose, wonder if this could be a piece they left behind? I didn't want to go digging it all out of there because I wasn't sure...

Old 04-06-2008, 07:04 PM

236 posts, read 1,085,336 times
I'm not sure, but it looks to me like that is a 2X4 and it was put in place to give a good straight surface to lay the first course of bricks on. I wouldn't worry about it being there, but I would have a termite guy out, because something is eating holes in that board.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchDoctor View Post
I'm not sure, but it looks to me like that is a 2X4 and it was put in place to give a good straight surface to lay the first course of bricks on. I wouldn't worry about it being there, but I would have a termite guy out, because something is eating holes in that board.
I have termite service and they tell me there is no activity-maybe it's old holes because there was activity at some point so the previous owner got a termite contract-it uses the Sentricon bait system

Old 04-06-2008, 10:15 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,726,981 times
Default Makes little sense......

A piece of wood there should serve no function. Can't be under the brick in any fashion, like in a sill.

Think I would just dig down in front / under it to see what is what. Probably just a piece of wood laying up against the foundation. Looks like a stray 2 x 4. Yank it out of there, just a home for termites up close and personal.

You should try to keep 18 to 24 inches of exposed brick as a termite barrier all around the house. I don't like buried wood of any type up to close to the home, just gives them termites ideas.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:39 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,411 times
Are you sure that is wood and not a fiberglass/foam (cardboard looking) board? I see this alot in our area. Usually they put this around the foundation of basements or large sloping areas to keep water intrusion out. Sometimes there is tar covering it. Maybe different parts of the country do it differently. Perhaps a builder could better answer that question.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:38 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
I'm concerned that you have a piece of wood holding the brick work up. That should be set right on the footer. I would dig below this a little more to confirm what it actually is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House