Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 12:19 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Step it up. This is also available in white.
That's what you put in your restaurant when one of the reality shows is coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Don't fall for the realtor's hype about enhancing the value of your house.
It may not add to resale, but it can add to getting an asking price in a short market time. Most buyers still focus on gosh-wow features, and a "new" all-stainless kitchen is near the top on that list. Older, dingier and mismatched appliances will turn off buyers even if the budget for new stuff is factored in.

As for stainless, I think I've lived with it long enough. White for this house when I replace stuff. There's a huge difference between restaurants where the finish of the metal doesn't matter much, and trying to keep three or four Bosch units looking showroom-new. Too much hassle and work and having to treat working tools like collectibles.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:30 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Have a sound conversation with your RE agent- hopefully who you hired is well versed as to the needs and wants of buyers for your area and dwelling.

As an informal piece of advice- SS will probably not increase the "value" of your place, but it will certainly increase the "perceived value"; and lower the days on the market- which also usually increases contract price.
This.

Your location and specific market will determine the answer, not a bunch of people on an internet forum giving you their own personal preferences.

But for the love of God, NOT BEIGE!! I'm not even sure you can buy all new beige appliances, but even if you can, don't.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
But for the love of God, NOT BEIGE!! I'm not even sure you can buy all new beige appliances, but even if you can, don't.
I clearly - too clearly - remember the day (mid-1970s) that some maker proudly announced their appliances were now available in Platinum! and Toast!

So I guess you'd be against Toast appliances, too?

Old 12-28-2018, 04:42 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I agree. White can look cheap. Look at this La Cornue cooker.

And, who would want a white Thermador refrigerator?
Not exactly what we are talking about. Those aren’t typical white appliances. The cooker is off white with gold trim. The refrigerator has a cabinet door panel. And notice that the other appliances shown are stainless steel. Jay

Old 12-28-2018, 05:09 PM

10,900 posts, read 7,393,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I clearly - too clearly - remember the day (mid-1970s) that some maker proudly announced their appliances were now available in Platinum! and Toast!

So I guess you'd be against Toast appliances, too?
I don't remember the announcement, but I did have a Toast washing machine for years. It was a great deal from the scratch and dent section. But that had to be late '80s or early '90s because we bought the house in '87.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:34 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,717 times
White is all I want to see in my kitchen. Stainless and black both are too hard to keep clean, they both show every smudge and fingerprint. I don't care HOW unfashionable that may be.

I suggest just not replacing them. Offer an "appliance allowance" instead.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:03 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
. And notice that the other appliances shown are stainless steel.Jay
OK. White ovens in my house. Not exotic.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:53 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Yeah, don't buy any new appliances.

Leave the old ones or sell them and let the new owners buy what they want to buy.

I think it's ridiculous to spend thousands on appliances. It's money that you won't get back.

Don't fall for the realtor's hype about enhancing the value of your house.
Consider this.

As a buyer, I am not looking at carpet or paint color or appliances ... I am looking at woodwork, flooring, HVAC and other higher-cost items in the condo (or, if in a house, the roof, the foundation, etc.).

Clean it up, paint some walls (cheap to do), fix anything that should be working (if there is anything) and price appropriately. Too often, buyers pull out appliances and carpeting regardless of how new it is to install what they really want.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:09 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
I wouldn’t do anything unless someone makes it a issue.

House is sold as is. If anything offer a $500 credit towards new appliances. But I’m not buying the new owner new appliances just to sell a house. Why buy 2-3,000 dollars in appliances when you can offer a small credit if it’s gonna make a deal happen.

When 8 look at a house I’m looking at roofs, framing, HVAC, Windows, plumbing, electrical. Big money items. Not a $500 stove
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House