Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 02:38 PM

3,546 posts, read 3,117,552 times

Advertisements

All the recent rain and heat, combined with being away from the house for a few weeks at a time earlier this year, and (possibly) the fact that I was keeping some plants inside the garage have led tomildew developing on my painted garage ceiling.

I've googled a few sites, and it doesn't sound that difficult to clean. I do have a few questions, though, that I thought someone here might know:

1. After I clean it and it dries, do I need to repaint? If so, is there a mildew resistant paint you'd recommend?

2. Are the plants part of the problem? I was growing dome cuttings, but if they're part of the problem I can get rid of them.

3. Some sites recommend white vinegar. I like the idea, but is that really going to be strong enough? If bleach is better, that's what I'll use.

4. Should I buy a sponge mop just for the purpose of cleaning this ceiling, and then throw it away?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 02:52 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,693,884 times
There is a mildew paint you can use. I just googled it and came back with this:
About Mold Killing Primer. Zinsser Mold Killing Primer is a water based fungicidal protective coating that can be used to paint over all existing mold, mildew, moss, fungi, odor causing bacteria and any other fungal organisms.

I'd be worried about what type of mold growing. Is it black mold? That severely impacts your health.

Bleach sounds good but you may take the paint with you. You also need to air out the garage, open the doors. It isn't the plants so much that cause the mold, it's the water content in a shut up garage. If it's been hot or if you have windows, the heat and the trapped water content in the room is what causes the mold. A dehumidifier would help, too.

Yes, throw away whatever you use to clean. No sense in having the mold transfer.

Old 09-16-2018, 03:13 PM

I believe it's just mildew. It's even spread across the whole ceiling, which makes me think it's from heat in the garage and the garage being close up (unlike a moldy spot in the ceiling which would more likely be from a plumbing leak). It's pretty light, and I don't think it's been there too long.

Cleaning a ceiling is messy, but something I can do myself, right? I just need to make sure the doors and windows are open, right? Or, if I get this paint, then I wouldn't have to clean the mold? That doesn't sound right, for some reason (although it would be easier).

Old 09-16-2018, 03:51 PM

FWIW I just wiped a a fairly section with one of those Clorox wipes to see what would happen. It seemed to take it right off.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:53 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Yes, the mildew should cleanup rather easily.

Preventing the mildew from returning- eliminate one element of what it needs to survive.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:57 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,057,141 times
Spray the ceiling with bleach and make sure there is some venting. A closed , warm place is ripe for mildew.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Spray the ceiling with bleach and make sure there is some venting. A closed , warm place is ripe for mildew.

Yes, I've been doing a little research and I think part of the culprit was the two windows. I've never had a garage with windows before, but apparently they contribute to things like this. They need to be opened from time to time. Fortunately, it turned out to be easier to clean than I expected. I'll let it dry for a day and then paint with the fungicide paint.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:06 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
...the culprit was the two windows. I've never had a garage with windows before, but apparently they contribute to things like this.

What?????
"Windows" could contribute to mildew!? Nothing could be further from the truth.

As I previously mentioned, eliminate one element and mildew can not grow/survive- eliminating "windows" is not it! Opening them is probably NOT helping- especially if it's hot AND humid.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
What?????
"Windows" could contribute to mildew!? Nothing could be further from the truth.

As I previously mentioned, eliminate one element and mildew can not grow/survive- eliminating "windows" is not it! Opening them is probably NOT helping- especially if it's hot AND humid.

Well, damn. This is why I hate getting advice on the internet. Two people who say the complete opposite, both of whom seem equally believable. I suppose I could try to find a live person to ask, but I've had this happen out in the real world too. And meanwhile, I have a problem that needs to be fixed and that I don't want to have to deal with over and over because I listened to the wrong person. Arggh!

Old 09-18-2018, 09:09 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
What is the ceiling made of? Is it drywall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House