Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 04:57 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times

Advertisements

I am on an HOA.

Unfortunately we have a Unit Owner who continues to troll the board. Constantly lobbing in excessively long e-mails to the Board... asking for detailed explanations on financial transactions... and sending ridiculous questions (that are really commentary) Asking to speak to the board at a meeting but then not showing up at the last second. She used to be on the board.

In addition... she goes around to Unit Owners in person and misleads to get their support to oust the Board.

I would be fine with her getting on the Board and then leaving her to do the work but... first, based on her past behavior she won't do the work and second, she is a deep spender and enjoys jacking up condo fees and also, starting massive capital projects and then leaving.

The Board keeps going through this pattern of no one wants to be on the board, followed by everyone wants to be on the Board...or in otherwords... things suck and are complicated and no one wants to be on the Board, good people get on the Board, fix things and just as we are coming out of a bad time, this same Unit Owner wants on the Board to spend all the money.

To do this she will go around to residents in person and suggest financial misfeasance... ask the board detailed financial questions... if we don't answer... we are "hiding something" if we do answer, she double downs on the "I don't understand"; give me more and more and more.

This is also one reason other people do not get on the board.. they don't want to be harassed and her constant harassment when she isn't on the Board makes it so she will always have the option to get on the Board.

How do we deal with this? Many former Board members have sold their condo mostly to avoid her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 07:19 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Speak to your hoa lawyer. Our hoa had a similar problem member and while I don't know what the solution was (I'm not in the board) I do know he stopped after they got the lawyer involved.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:20 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Nobody lives forever!

Old 02-14-2019, 09:26 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Speak to your hoa lawyer. Our hoa had a similar problem member and while I don't know what the solution was (I'm not in the board) I do know he stopped after they got the lawyer involved.
Good idea. When I lived in a townhome we had the exact problem with an old lady. She wäs voted off the board and was not eligible to run...but continued harassing residents about one thing, then another.

Maybe an atty can give suggestions. I moved to a sfh before the issue was decided.

NO MORE HOA FOR ME! (Terrible experience...)

Old 02-14-2019, 09:32 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Is there a reason why the finances aren't transparent enough to make her look like a fool when she tries her actions? Is there ever outside independent auditing? Are there "proper channels" that must be used in addressing the board? Regulating access to decision-makers is organization 101.

Assuming her complaints are without merit and she is older, paranoia about money and property is somewhat common in dementia. If that is the case, it will get worse. Address the flaws now or pay later.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:57 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Is there a reason why the finances aren't transparent enough to make her look like a fool when she tries her actions? Is there ever outside independent auditing? Are there "proper channels" that must be used in addressing the board? Regulating access to decision-makers is organization 101.
This ^^^ is the most important point.

Typically with volunteer boards, when someone starts making accusations, the board members tend to circle the wagons and make themselves look suspicious. So ... in the words of Davy Crockett, be sure you're right, then go ahead.

Respond briefly to reasonable requests. Ignore repetitive or unreasonable requests.

And yes, consult your HOA attorney so that you KNOW for sure how to deal with any harassment or unethical or illegal behavior.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:48 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
We literally post the financials the day the Board gets them on the internal website. She wants to know why this accounting entry was done or that accounting entry was done. She is the former treasurer so she has the "appearance" of knowing what she is doing.

We are reconsidering the financials but we all agree it is unfair to stop posting them because of one insane resident.

We have a management company and we have asked the controller. But we don't think it is fair for any resident to be able to lob a 97 point e-mail with detailed financial questions. Most of which are really not questions but more like commentary with a question mark at the end.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:04 PM

768 posts, read 859,614 times
Sounds as if your board has a problem with transparency. Owners are entitled to financial documents and to know, in advance, spending plans and what items like mowing, plowing, etc will cost in each budget. You can take the wind out of her sails by simply being more transparent. Perhaps she has more time on her hands than necessary and this is her way of not only "keeping herself in touch", but by informing, she may feel she has a purpose.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:13 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
We have a resident like this. We arranged for him to spend however long he wanted at the management company with access to every darn invoice we had ever paid and every financial document available. After a couple days he left defeated. He couldn’t find one thing the Board has done incorrectly or didn’t disclose via the financials. And all because he was pissed about his bushes being cut.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:53 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
HOAs are for people who can be happy and smug that all the other prisoners' bars are painted exactly the same color. They're welcome to 'em - both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House