Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 11:13 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
I believe that “ widow’s walks” decks on the highest level of the house were first built in coastal communities so wife’s can go up there and watch if the ship of her merchant, sailor, fisherman husband is on its way back home.
It often happened in those times, that the husbands were lost at sea.
The women continue coming up on the deck, pacing and looking out to the sea in the hopes of their husbands safe return... but in fact quite often women were widows already...hence the name” widows’s walk”
Quite so. That is what I was told as a child, almost word for word. Points coming up. However, that idea and name are almost certainly built around a myth as well.

The myth and reality of widow

The concept of widows pacing them is almost certainly a romanticization. The idea of mounting to the roof of a home to gaze seaward was undoubtedly far more enticing to an able-bodied seaman or merchant trader intent on being informed than to a widow worthy of her own E.A. Poe short story or bemoaning her lost Heathcliff.

The greater point is that myth is part of culture, and realities get embellished. That is human nature. Folks who study history run into glorifications and romantic or religious nonsense regularly. The fame of the Liberty Bell doesn't hold up to even casual scrutiny, but traces to an error-filled popular poem. That inflation doesn't prevent it from being a national icon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 11:42 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,324,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Almost entirely false. Walkways around the roof on those tall houses were to enable fighting fires. Many are not accessible except through narrow ladders, which no self-respecting widow would climb.
https://cogpunksteamscribe.files.wor...2581.jpg?w=500
Are you saying that people with buckets of water/ sand were climbing that narrow ladder you describing to fight roof fire?
You theory is as good or as bad as mine. Like mine better!��, like HarryChickPea would say!��
One can clearly see the door access to this widows walk. Don’t think narrow steep stairway would lead here. I visited many houses with the widows walks- it is pretty waterviews from there; good for fireworks as well!
This is the similar to the ones I was talking about.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:44 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The concept of widows pacing them is almost certainly a romanticization.
For one thing, most ports had spotters and tidewaiters who announced ships on the horizon with the experience and reliability of the National Weather Service, many hours before they made harbor. San Francisco, of course, had an elaborate telegraph system that could be seen all over the city.

Standing on one's roof to second-guess these institutions would have been about as useful as doing it today to see what the weather is going to be.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:45 AM

As for six-panel doors, this discussion has provoked a strong urge to go around hanging them upside down from now on.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:52 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
My house was built in 2014. I have 2 panel doors and white trim - not Colonial style - because it was what I chose. I could have had the trim stained but I prefer the look of white.

I don't remember if stained doors were an option or not, because I wouldn't have chosen anything but white and wouldn't have paid much attention.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:44 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
"Laughed so hard I lost my breath. You really believe that nonsense?"

I learned that those doors were called cross and bible doors about 70 years ago. That is what they were called in the 1700s and they were a status symbol. Our forefathers named them and did not consider it nonsense.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I learned that those doors were called cross and bible doors about 70 years ago. That is what they were called in the 1700s and they were a status symbol. Our forefathers named them and did not consider it nonsense.
I'd be interested in a cite on that point.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:44 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Quietude imagines; "Almost entirely false. Walkways around the roof on those tall houses were to enable fighting fires. Many are not accessible except through narrow ladders, which no self-respecting widow would climb."

I became a volunteer fireman in 1957. No fireman is going up a narrow staircase or ladder inside a burning building. Where there is fie, there is smoke and when those houses were built there was no such thing as a Scott air pack.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:01 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
As for six-panel doors, this discussion has provoked a strong urge to go around hanging them upside down from now on.
Don't laugh. I wanted our newly built house to have old features and took all those 4 panel doors and did hang them upside down. They looked much more 'graceful' ( no pun intended) that way.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:48 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
I use white semi-gloss for doors and trim because it reflects light. Stain absorbs light and makes the room feel smaller. Slab hollow core doors look cheap and low quality.

I just had a painter paint my Vermont townhouse condo. The trim and doors are all now white semi-gloss. It’s an inside unit so it’s dark. I’m also going much lighter with the carpet to reflect more light.

There are hundreds of houses within a few miles of me with widow’s walks. Prior to the Civil War, it was the largest whaling port in the world with affluent captains and merchants. A widow’s walk was a sign of affluence so any larger house had one even if the owner had nothing to do with the sea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House