Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 08:35 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times

Advertisements

Anybody with personal experience on using home depot for setting up a job for a bathroom remodel.

I'm not a fan of going that route but I feel exhausted with going through regular people that run their own businesses. A lot of uncertainty on whether I can depend on the people I've talked to.

Most recently last week I was supposed to have an estimate done in the morning. I text the guy & asked if he was on his way. He responded saying he needs to rescheduled for the next day/same time. (Keep in mind I text him first so I wonder if he would've even text me or just forget about it). I went with it because I've seen good reviews before about him. But then the next day he asked for my address. After I gave him my address he said something just happened to come up (emergency) & that he'd have to reschedule again. To me that is just a big flag that I shouldn't bother with him. I can understand things happening but just feel as if that's a sign to not bother.

That's why I was looking more into home depot. I know they contract out but maybe they have people who strictly do re-models & not service calls. Therefore should be more likely to only have a job to do on X date. Plus maybe their is some type of warranty tied to the work? I.e. tile starts coming down a year later.

Another reason is because I'm not going to let anybody have a key to my house unless I've dealt with them before so I feel like if I go through a company like Home Depot I can be more firm on dates of getting the work done. Versus a small business owner being very subjective on the dates he can actually do the job.

My bathroom is small. A full bath but really no more than 5x9 in size. Pretty much only room for 1 person to be in there at the same time. Single sink.

I know a lot can vary as well but any idea on what a bathroom that size would cost with your basic tub & sink/vanity. My toilet is only a year old so won't need to get a new toilet. So outside of bath tub/sink/vanity it would be floor tiles & wall tiles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 09:08 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Go on NextDoor.com and get recommendations from your neighbors.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:23 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Yes; HD uses third party contractors- the same type of people you've been contacting. And they do service calls too!

HD does have some criteria that these 3rd parties have too adhere to- and HD will (kinda) stand behind the job.

You can have your cake... but you can't always eat it too!

Old 02-20-2019, 09:52 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
I believe HD and Lowes send their own estimators out to examine the site before giving a final price. They really do not want this type work and will often price themselves out of it.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:05 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Anybody with personal experience on using home depot for setting up a job for a bathroom remodel.
I'm not a fan of going that route...
Trust your gut.

Find a plumbing contractor (licensed etc) that does a LOT of remodeling work NEAR you.
They'll be the general contractor and use their subs and it's all gonna cost real money.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:03 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,909,762 times
HD and Lowes use outside contractors. You will not only pay the contractor, but HD adds on their cut, so you end up paying far more than finding your own contractor and cutting out the middle man. Contracting with HD, etc., is easier, just make a call but you will pay through the nose.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:39 PM

24,568 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Big box stores use 3rd party contractors and your contract is with that contractor. No recourse through the store. The do send out in-store people but to measure as for blinds, cabinets, ... against a fee which is generally being refunded at purchase of a project or $ purchase.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:54 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
I live in SC and I have a covered, 3 sided screen porch, with concrete floor. I wanted to have outdoor tile put down. I got a price from the HD salesperson for materials and installation. They sent out their inspector. The inspector said they could not do a direct tile to concrete application as it was not temperature controlled. He said they would have to do an underlayment first. The price doubled. When I informed him others had done it, he replied that HD had to jump through hoops to be sure it was done properly as they would be warranting the job and as such erred on the conservative side. We chatted some and he basically said HD only does jobs they are confident of and they turn down quite a bit that others are willing to take on. He was basically telling me to hire my own guy.

In the end I decided to have outdoor carpet laid down. Material and labor for about $400.00 by a local carpet guy. Not glued down but floating. I have it ripped up and replaced new every 5-6 years depending on how wet/dirty it gets. I actually prefer the carpet.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:33 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
My BIL arranged for HD to do a minor kitchen remodel....countertops and backsplash, new sink and faucet. I don’t know all the problems he had, but was ready to tear his hair out. He says he’ll never use HD for anything like that again.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:50 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Big box stores use 3rd party contractors and your contract is with that contractor. No recourse through the store. The do send out in-store people but to measure as for blinds, cabinets, ... against a fee which is generally being refunded at purchase of a project or $ purchase.

Not true. I bought new cabinets and countertop (and appliances) through Lowe's and they handled everything. It was a 3rd part contractor, but my contract was with Lowe's. I am sure everyone has different experiences, but mine was amazing. Professional, timely service and zero punch list when done on 3rd day. (Countertop came a couple o weeks later, and no issues there, either,)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House