Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 08:58 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times

Advertisements

a little off the specifics of how to fix that, but I'd think twice about renting out a place with existing damage or a crappy repair job. If you do that, you are sending a message to your tenants that you don't really care about keeping things in good condition. If you rent out a well maintained property, you are going to attract higher quality tenants who will do a better job of keeping things in good repair.

As for the repair, maybe you can check out local places like Habitat for Humanity to see if you can pick up a used replacement instead of paying for a new one? You might have to bite the bullet and buy a new door, since that one is a less common style with that center rail, but you might be able to get the box and only have to buy one new door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 10:58 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
...since that one is a less common style with that center rail...

Since we're on Woodworking 101, let's make sure we have our terminology correct. You are referring to a "stile"- a "rail" is the horizontal piece.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:21 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Since we're on Woodworking 101, let's make sure we have our terminology correct. You are referring to a "stile"- a "rail" is the horizontal piece.
You know, I actually thought it was stile but I wasn't 100% sure and I thought it would look weird to have style and stile so close in the same sentence

Old 03-06-2019, 12:21 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
Which is curious, as a stile is properly the short ladder or steps used to cross a farm fence. Stile, as used in woodworking, is likely a corruption of the Greek stele, which not only refers to grave monuments but pillars.

Style is a relatively recent word related to a stylus or writing implement. The individualized flourishes in hand-written script constitute a personal style. That got expanded into use in the fashion world and then general usage.

Ultimately, all these variations likely have a root in a proto-word roughly meaning "stick."

(I agree that replacement of the cabinet is the most straightforward fix.)

Old 03-06-2019, 12:57 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Before doing anything invasive I would look around and see if you could steal parts from somewhere else. For example, same doors in the pantry? swap it out and do a kluge-job on the burnt piece. For the rail? Could you carefully cut a rectangular section out, flip it over and reinstall with the burnt side inward? Maybe then paint the inside and underside to reflect some more light down on the sink? If you have a door of the same general type, but different size, somewhere else that's hardly seen, could you take off the burnt parts of the very exposed one and replace them with the parts of that other door, and then do something klugey to the not exposed one? Flip the burnt door upside down so at least the burnt area is up near the ceiling, then sand, fill, and paint it to a near enough color?

Old 03-06-2019, 01:09 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Which is curious, as a stile is properly the short ladder or steps used to cross a farm fence. Stile, as used in woodworking, is likely a corruption of the Greek stele, which not only refers to grave monuments but pillars.

Style is a relatively recent word related to a stylus or writing implement. The individualized flourishes in hand-written script constitute a personal style. That got expanded into use in the fashion world and then general usage.

Ultimately, all these variations likely have a root in a proto-word roughly meaning "stick."

(I agree that replacement of the cabinet is the most straightforward fix.)

In the context of several of your other responses over the years...

I'm ROFLMAO!!!!!

Old 03-06-2019, 01:53 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Quote:
In the context of several of your other responses over the years...

I'm ROFLMAO!!!!!
You got it!

Old 03-06-2019, 04:26 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
Go to a cabinet shop or a local woodworker. While its not Woodworking 101, its also not all that hard for a professional or serious hobbyists woodworker. Even matching the stain.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:53 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
It would have been entertaining for you to have told us how this scorching event took place.

Old 03-07-2019, 03:34 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Years ago many community colleges offered a lot of technology classes. I took several classes including Mill & Cabinet. I made several custom kitchen cabinets, & others. I think they probably still offer these classes in many colleges. You could buy lumber there for projects. They have hand tools & power tools you can use. We used lumber core plywood for many of the cabinets.

I took:
mill & cabinet
finish carpentry
carpentry
automotive
body & fender

architecture
welding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House