Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2019, 03:27 PM

21,865 posts, read 25,154,836 times

Advertisements

Holy hell, I always thought it was just hyperbole. Working away on my computer from home and some movement catches my attention. Turn around and there's hundreds upon hundreds of the little bastards. By the time I finished with one corner they were back in droves in the next. Thirty minutes later it's down to a trickle of stragglers and late arrivals to the party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 829 times
Are you sure they were termites? Termites have "straight waists" unlike an ant which has a "pinched waist". Take a look at one, you'll notice the difference. If it's pinched, you're okay, just get the Raid out. If it's straight, better start checking the walls, picture frames, anything wood with a screw driver. Press hard enough to know if it's been hollowed out. A termite can eat a picture frame hanging on a wall leaving nothing but the paint. No joke. Look for mud tubes. Listen to your walls for chewing sounds. Better yet, call a reliable pest control company. I mean reliable, not just anybody. Get references. Check pricing. You'd be surprised how some pest businesses will rip you off. Watch them closely while they inspect your house, inside outside, underneath and overhead. If they find something, get a second opinion. I worked for 2 different pest control companies while in college. They aren't all the same. Local companies tend to be better than the national ones. Just my 2 cents...

Old 03-20-2019, 09:27 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,191,390 times
I experienced a swarm of flying termites at my FIL one spring while helping with some gardening. Don't really see them much in Minnesota. Found out that their life cycle does include wings that drop off. It's to establish a new colony. The swarm I saw can out of some landscape timbers that I disturbed a bit and lasted for about half hour until it started to diminish. Did you find where they were coming from?

As said in previous post Google identify termites/ants and it's easy to see the difference.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:16 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
If they're carpenter ants you still better be checking the wood; carpenter ants prefer already rotten wood so if they're around in large quantities, you've probably got some.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:08 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Picture?

Old 03-21-2019, 12:13 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
I experienced a swarm of flying termites at my FIL one spring while helping with some gardening. Don't really see them much in Minnesota. Found out that their life cycle does include wings that drop off. It's to establish a new colony. The swarm I saw can out of some landscape timbers that I disturbed a bit and lasted for about half hour until it started to diminish. Did you find where they were coming from?

As said in previous post Google identify termites/ants and it's easy to see the difference.
Right! Subterranean termites "swarm" as the weather begins to warm, usually at the beginning of spring after a rain event. They are a group of termites looking to begin their own, new colony.
Not all termite species swarm at the same time, but for a swarm to occur, the weather must be warm, often following a rain.
Termite swarmers can sometimes be confused with swarmer ants. Close inspection can help you tell the difference - termite swarmers have two pairs of wings that are equal in length, while one pair of the swarmer ant's wings are shorter than the other pair.
If you find winged insects swarming in your home, it’s wise to call in an expert to identify the pest and the extent of the problem, whether it's termite season or not.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:34 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Oh yes, I had my experience when my home was five years old. I knew nothing about termites or that I was supposed to have an inspection each year. Live and learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House