Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 08:23 AM

3,925 posts, read 6,840,880 times

Advertisements

Wife and I recently bought a house and are doing some remodeling projects. One of the projects I was debating on tackling myself was to split the single pedestal sink into a double vanity.

I enjoy this kind of DIY stuff but have never dealt with plumbing to this degree. Does anyone have any insight into whether or not you think I should even consider this? If you think it's do-able, do you have any tips?

Here is our bathroom. The rolling vanity next to the sink is not fixed to anything. The old owners took that with them so there is lots of space for 60" or larger vanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 08:47 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Wife and I recently bought a house and are doing some remodeling projects. One of the projects I was debating on tackling myself was to split the single pedestal sink into a double vanity.

I enjoy this kind of DIY stuff but have never dealt with plumbing to this degree. Does anyone have any insight into whether or not you think I should even consider this? If you think it's do-able, do you have any tips?

Here is our bathroom. The rolling vanity next to the sink is not fixed to anything. The old owners took that with them so there is lots of space for 60" or larger vanity.
Well, if there's enough length for the vanity with two sinks that you want, the plumbing is fairly straightforward. You'll have to decide whether to cut into the wall and put a whole second set of cutoff valves for hot and cold water (the right way) or just tee into what you've got and have one hot water cutoff serve two hot water faucets and ditto for cold (the wrong, but easy, and probably equally functional way).

As to the drains, my guess is that you'll need to cut into the wall to get enough height to have slope in the runs from each sink's trap to the tee joint in the middle and then to the wall, but measurements will answer that.

It's basically just taking out old stuff, putting in new stuff, sweating pipes, making drain connections, and so on. Only you can answer whether your skills are up to it. I would not hesitate to do it myself.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:57 AM

724 posts, read 530,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, if there's enough length for the vanity with two sinks that you want, the plumbing is fairly straightforward. You'll have to decide whether to cut into the wall and put a whole second set of cutoff valves for hot and cold water (the right way) or just tee into what you've got and have one hot water cutoff serve two hot water faucets and ditto for cold (the wrong, but easy, and probably equally functional way).

As to the drains, my guess is that you'll need to cut into the wall to get enough height to have slope in the runs from each sink's trap to the tee joint in the middle and then to the wall, but measurements will answer that.

It's basically just taking out old stuff, putting in new stuff, sweating pipes, making drain connections, and so on. Only you can answer whether your skills are up to it. I would not hesitate to do it myself.
I'd agree with this. You can go the easy route and T everything, or put in the new valves. If you're not comfortable doing this, paying a plumber to do the cutoffs and drains would be worth it - or you go buy yourself a torch and watch some youtube and practice on scrap for a bit.

As an alternative to lowering the drain height for slope, you can also raise the height of the vanity top (depending on how tall you are). I'm 6'1 and my GF is 5'2, so we actually have an unequal height vanity in our MBA. That could be a solution for you as well.

Another thing I'd look at (if you have the space) is a privacy wall next to the toilet.

My tip? Measure everything 3 times. Go visit more than just the big box stores for ideas.

Old 04-04-2019, 12:54 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,570,836 times
The plumbing doesn't need to near as complicated as that. Replace the existing shutoffs with dual quarter turn shutoff valves and run flex lines to each faucet. The drain looks low enough that there shouldn't be and problem getting 2 sinks tied in to it. This is a pretty simple and straight forward project.

Old 04-04-2019, 03:31 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Based on your remarks- hire a plumber to re-do the plumbing correctly for a double vanity.

Don't know what's in the wall- don't know the size of the vent stack; and you certainly don't want to RE your project (like some of the previous suggestions)- it'll just come back and bite you in the ass!

Old 04-05-2019, 01:44 PM

3,218 posts, read 2,434,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post

It can be done, but unless you both intend to be in there using the sink at the same time, as a woman I would consider having a single sink but a large counter top. Offset the sink to one side and extend the counter top for all your wife's stuff and drawers below. Better than having two sinks in that small space and little storage. That's my opinion, others might vary.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:40 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
That's my opinion, others might vary.

So, you have varying opinions?

Old 04-06-2019, 09:23 AM

2,106 posts, read 979,806 times
The longer a vanity is the better for me , but double sinks are a waste of good space , unless you have 6-8 people living there and just the one bathroom .

Old 04-06-2019, 10:12 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,570,836 times
I'm going to go against the consensus and say that double sinks are great, if you have the space. My wife and I are frequently in the bathroom together and sharing one sink would be a big PITA. The more open counter space you have, the more junk ends up sitting out on it. We have double vanity cabinets with plenty of room to keep stuff off the counter.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:41 AM

2,106 posts, read 979,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
I'm going to go against the consensus and say that double sinks are great, if you have the space. My wife and I are frequently in the bathroom together and sharing one sink would be a big PITA. The more open counter space you have, the more junk ends up sitting out on it. We have double vanity cabinets with plenty of room to keep stuff off the counter.
So right , the more space the more stuff you put on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House