Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Shoes in your home: ON or OFF ?
Shoes OFF in our house. 55 56.70%
Shoes ON / OKAY in our house. 38 39.18%
Other, please elaborate. 4 4.12%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 11:31 AM

761 posts, read 3,416,144 times

Advertisements

Shoes off seems to be a common practice here in MN. No bare feet on carpet is a little overboard though imho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 01:28 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,936,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I guess this is something I've picked up from my Japanese wife, but it has now become a pet peeve of mine. I can't honestly understand how people walk in their house with shoes on. Next time you walk into a dirty gas station bathroom with urine and who knows what else all over the floor try to remember that as you walk into your house and then lay on the floor. It's just disgusting to me and you never know where someone has walked either...

What if your company had just gone into a porta-potty at a concert or they were walking by the "Vomit Machine" at the local state fair and accidentally stepped in something??? Yep, that's what is being tracked across your carpet and floor.

*Shudder*
We are stocking foot or barefoot most of time,we do at times wear our shoes in house,BUT we have gallon jug of water at entarance which we empty on slab and rinse our shoes,amazing how much dirt you would carry into home,we see neighbor with dirt drive and children walk in and out of home and to mail box,for us disgusting,this sight even in flea market.UGH,UGH

Old 03-04-2010, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,332 times
barefeet only

Old 03-04-2010, 04:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Off,I was raised around wood floors.scuff marks you know.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:12 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I guess this is something I've picked up from my Japanese wife, but it has now become a pet peeve of mine.

*Shudder*

Yea same here... I was born here in American but I had friends who were part Japanese who I lived with for a while. They had a set up where you had to take your shoes off as soon as you came inside.

Now that I moved, I have now carried the habit with me and it's now a pet peeve of mine too! In fact, I think it's just nasty to walk around in a home with dirty shoes on your feet. How rude!

Old 03-07-2010, 03:16 PM

14 posts, read 24,678 times
Off, of course

Old 03-07-2010, 08:37 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
All this talk of bringing slippers over to a friend's house is one of the most bizarre things I've ever heard. Where do you all live? I've never encountered this behavior in my life, but maybe that's because of where I've lived. The only time anyone ever brought slippers to my house was for a slumber party! So if a friend brought slippers with them to my house, my first thought would probably be, "Do they think they're spending the night?" Like Ohiogirl, if I saw a pile of slippers by the front door, I would immediately think they belonged to the family.

I'm very curious as to what sort of "eye signal" Zanna Vaida gives his/her guests to let them know they must remove their shoes. It doesn't sound terribly warm & welcoming.
LMAO at this post!! I think I would pee my pants if someone came to my house with their own slippers, and would absolutely think.... how long are they staying?? while in my area, people do tend to all take their shoes off, even though they ALL have hardwood floors (even if I try to prevent it, can't stand to see a pile of shoes in my foyer), I still haven't gotten used to it. I rarely wear socks, as most of my shoes are slip on or sandals, and feel rather odd dressed and without shoes.

While I can see it for my kid's and their friends, who come for playdates and just "hang out" for hours, watch movies and play games on the floor, and walking in and out of bedrooms, going outside and playing on the lawn, and really making themselves at home; as a grown woman, I don't often play on lawns and I don't ever go into someone's home to use it in that manner, or walk into bedrooms. I walk in, and stay withing the "entertainment area", which is usually the kitchen and family room, which I personally clean often enough .... but then again.... maybe I wouldn't have to if we all took our shoes off
And I have felt rather awkward at a gathering, sitting on someone's floor, rolling my jeans all the way up to remove high boots, greeting other guests I barely knew that were arriving while still struggling on the floor, and then having to leave my boots under a 3 foot high pile of other shoes. Then walking around tripping over my jeans that were then too long without my heels, and feeling short. Then, when my child got hurt on the trampoline outside and was calling for me, by the time I retrieved my boots, put them on, and got outside, they didn't even remember why they were calling me. Her house could have been beautifully decorated, all I can remember is the massive pile of shoes in her foyer. She could very well be a great hostess, all I can remember is feeling uncomfortable and wanting to leave.
In my opinion:
-If you are officially "hosting" a large group of people, its just wierd to ask them to take off their shoes, just plan to mop after they leave.
-If I have slippers on in your home, expect me to help myself to your fridge and try to take control of your remote, and don't be surprised if you catch me napping.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:59 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
I'd be offended if someone took their shoes off; it's forward and presumptuous, leave your clothing on, including your trousers. Nor would I ask guests to remove their clothing other than coats, hats and overshoes. The outdoors layer comes off, the indoors layer stays on.

People that expect others to take their shoes off are peasants utterly lacking sophistication and savoir faire being overly protective of their possesions. Like anxious people who aren't sure they deserve a desk at work and so get one of the pathetic nameplates for it, you know, like used car salesmen.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:39 AM

235 posts, read 510,688 times
In my house, guests can do whatever makes them most comfortable. I usually leave my shoes on in my own home & in others. Must not be common practice around here to immediately take your shoes off.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:17 AM

68 posts, read 553,948 times
My .02:

The way I grew up, houses were meant to be lived in, not tip toed around. That's why God invented vacuums, rug shampoos and steam cleaners.

I'd never put something in my house that I wouldn't dare get dirty. I can't help but roll my eyes when someones living room is completely beige and white.

Life happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House